New interior door binding on top corner

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hello there - I have a new pre-hung interior door I just installed for a basement entry. I have a problem with it binding on the top latch side corner of the frame. I have checked plumb on the jambs and header and it is mostly level so I am struggling what else to check or adjust. The hinge side I shimmed in 5 locations, whereas the latch side I only shimmed in 4 locations. Is it possible I can shim the bottom of the latch side (resting on concrete) to move it up slightly, or do you have other suggestions to try first? Here is a picture for reference. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_201954961.jpg
    IMG_20210602_201954961.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 13
You need to pull the screws on the handle side and bump it up a little and screw it down. Both sides can be plumb and still the top is not level.

Ok so remove the screws on the latch side, and shim the bottom of the jamb to push that side upwards? What do you recommend for filling the gap at the bottom that it would now rest on?

When you shim the jamb, it rests on the shim, so just trim the shim.

You also need to crown the jamb header and secure it.

How would you crown the jamb header? Not really sure what you mean...

Just to clarify, I do not need any kind of shim/spacers underneath the jamb on the floor to rest the jamb on a raised surface? Repositioning the jamb higher and then re-screwing through the jambs through the shims on the latch side wall will hold the door in it's raised position without putting anything additional underneath it for support?

Just to clarify, I do not need any kind of shim/spacers underneath the jamb on the floor to rest the jamb on a raised surface? Repositioning the jamb higher and then re-screwing through the jambs through the shims on the latch side wall will hold the door in it's raised position without putting anything additional underneath it for support?
True, most times the jambs are kept up off the floor, especially if it isn't the finished floor. If you're putting down a hard surface floor you slide it under the door jamb and trim. If it is carpeted it isn't visible once the carpet is installed. If you put it flat on the floor and install carpet you'll probably need to cut the bottom off the door.

This is just sitting on a concrete floor in a basement...

In the photo the jamb header appears slightly depressed in the middle.

It also appears there is enough room for a 2x above the jamb header, then lay a strait edge across the header and raise the header to flush with the strait edge.

This is just sitting on a concrete floor in a basement...
You need to raise up the latch side a small amount to get rid of the bind. You could fill the gap with a small bead of caulk if you're not going to have a finished floor.

Got it fixed! Raised the latch side jamb up about 1/8 of an inch and shimmed slightly more on the upper hinge jamb and everything is lined up consistently. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_193231506.jpg
    IMG_20210603_193231506.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back