New outdoor spigot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMA127

Reaction score
Recently i replaced my water heater. I had to shutoff the water line at the side of the house. Once finished with the WH I tried to turn the valve and it just spun. So I realized I needed to replace the valve. Went to Home Depot and got some replacement parts, replaced the shutoff with a ball valve, replace the pressure relief valve and the spigot. The spigot i bought was just a normal one, however i noticed that the one that was originally on there was a little different. I searched an found that the old one is called a Vacuum Breaker. I noticed after putting everything together that if i shutoff the main line that water will pour out of the new spigot or pressure relief valve. I know the input was shut off so i can only assume it was water coming back from the water heater(inside garage) and running back out.

Is this normal without the vacuum breaker valve?
Do i need the vacuum breaker or is it ok without?
Also I use some of the SHARKBITE couplings and noticed that even though they are secured and not leaking, they still have the ability to spin in their union. Is that ok?

Thanks, i appreciate any advice.

Last edited:
Is this normal without the vacuum breaker valve? Yes
Do i need the vacuum breaker or is it ok without? Yes you need a vacuum breaker spigot
Also I use some of the SHARKBITE couplings and noticed that even though they are secured and not leaking, they still have the ability to spin in their union. Is that ok? Yes

Thank you for the responses. I will buy a screw on vacuum breaker valve.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back