new plumbing problem - just started

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwfreas

Reaction score
I recently noticed that water from other areas of my house backs up into my wash basin tub in the basement. I first noticed it when doing laundry I looked and the tub was full of grey water. Then on top of that I get food particles that are surfacing in there and anytime a toilet is flushed or other faucet run in the house you can hear the drain in the wash basin gurgling....what could be causing this???

Help!

Thanks!

You have blockage in the line and that sink is the lowest fixture, try some drano...then call the plumber . If you have tree roots growing into the line Glenn suggests salt. Try it out.
There are many other similar posts,,,go check them out.:)

If you have a main trap in the basement start there. there is also clean outs in the basement floor too.

Welocme B W Freas:
If you are going to use chemical drain openers, please don't call me to repair the plumbing. Many of my friends have suffered acid or chemical burns because the customer tried them first and they didn't work. The more seasoned plumbers know their customers will use one or more chemicals before calling them; they also know the owner will say they haven't used anything, so they watch for it anyway.
Inspector D is correct, you have an obstruction and the lowest drin is backing up. Keep using the drain and it will back out on the basement floor.
In this case, it would be best to call the plumber for the repair and watch him as he works; then you will know what to do the next time.
My sewer (the line to the street) has had roots reamed out of it 3 times before I finally figured out I could keep the roots killed out with salt. I went to the Home Depot and got a bag of salt pellets like we use in a water softner. I add a cup on the first day of the month and the pellets hit the roots and lodge there disolving into salt brine which kills the roots, they break loose and float on down for the city to contend with.
Glenn

Back