New Problem, Old Disposal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Point65

I have a GE model GFC700r 02 garbage disposal that jammed. I can only access the impeller from the sink with a broom handle. I've seen where other disposal models have an allen wrench hole on the bottom of the unit that allows you to rotate the insides to loosen or free whatever is jamming the unit, but this one only has a plate in the center that hides the wires inside. Is there a key hole under the wires? There must be a few things jamming it because even when I try starting the disposal while giving it a turn with the handle, it rattles for a turn or two then jams again. Since I can't see where or what's jamming it, I think I'll have to remove it totally (something I don't want to do with my small amount of experience) to get at the problem.

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I can put two extenders on a socket wrench that reaches the center nut from the sink, but I can't seem to get enough strength behind it to free the jam. I'm also trying to be careful not to damage our brand new sink that was installed with the new countertops.

Anyone familiar with this type of disposal?

I got the same drawing when I googled the disposal model number. I was guessing if there were an allen wrench hole it would be somewhere inside where the wiring tucked in. I didn't see one with a mirror and flashlight, so I'm thinking I'll be removing it to try to disaasemble it a little to see if I can fix it. I'm also thinking it's as old as the house (20 years) and maybe needs replacing, but whatever jammed this one will probably jam the new one as well (We clean the aquarium in the kitchen sink, and my guess is the tiny gravel that slips away).

The good thing with the new one (Badger 500 - 1/2 H/P, or badger 900 - 3/4 HP) will have that allen wrench hole should another jam occur. I'm trying to decide if the power upgrade in the 900 is worth it, but the 500 is significantly smaller in capacity. Is the capacity a big issue?

Wow, what a coincidence, the last one I had to take apart was because the owner did the same thing. :D
I ended up cleaning out fish tank gravel until it free'd up.
The allen wrench hole would be directly under the shaft not inside the electrial enclosure.
20yr old disposal ? I'd safe it's probably time for a new one. I've seen them so old that the casing rusted through.

That's the funny thing. This one didn't have a hole for the wrench, but there was a bump on the bottom covering where the end of the shaft would have been.

I decided to not even try anymore and I replaced it with the Badger 900. I'm thinking with the power bump-up I'm not going to worry about any more jams, and we'll just have to be careful when we clean the fish tank. We'll keep it in the big side of the sink. A big plus is the new disposal has that hole clearly visible, and it's about 2 inches shorter, so I can reach under it easily with the wrench should I need it.

Ooo, shiny! I like it! Thanks for all the input!

Back