New roof install - ??s

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruisin*tigger

Reaction score
I have received a few quotes for a new roof including tear off and replace any needed plywood. One estimate calls for installing an intake vent system, along with having to remove insulation in my attic storage area for the installation (not a true attic...single story ranch with just storage space.).

1). Is this something that is absolutely needed?

2). And I question the cost. Everything else in the estimates were fairly similar, but the estimate with this intake option was about the same as another estimate that did not include it. First reaction is that estimate is overpriced, but just needed confirmation...if I’m not missing something.

All estimates came from contractors that had good online reviews. Chicago area so can have extreme hot and cold if that helps weather wise. Last roof was installed in 2003 so seems like it lasted it’s lifetime, with no intake vents, so just question if I really need that option.

Any other tips of things I should look out for would be greatly appreciated. This is coming at a very poor time budget wise (although when is it a good time to shell out many $$$ for a new roof) and don’t want to pay for anything that I might not truly need.

TIA!

If your last roof lasted 16 years that is not good.
20 years or even longer is lifespan for a good quality shingled roof.

Intake and exhaust venting are critical, to control high summer roof heat and to vent trapped moisture year round.
To prevent ice damming.
And to help control mold and wood rot.

A proper venting system is a requirement of the shingle mfg to enforce the warranty of the roofing materials. If a contractor did not include this in their scope of work, I'd suggest eliminating them from the list of choices you have.l

Latest posts

Back