New Roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp7575

Reaction score
I'm having a new roof put on due to hurricane Ike. I noticed the crew that was sent over is simply taking off the old shingles and then laying new tarp paper over the old tarp paper before putting on the new shingles.

Is this a normal practice?

They did in fact replace one peice of plywood so far on the back of the house. when I asked how they knew to replace it, they said they could feel the sag with their feet. Shouldn't they also take up all the old tar paper to know if there is damage underneath?

i'm having a new roof put on due to hurricane ike. I noticed the crew that was sent over is simply taking off the old shingles and then laying new tarp paper over the old tarp paper before putting on the new shingles.

Is this a normal practice?

They did in fact replace one peice of plywood so far on the back of the house. When i asked how they knew to replace it, they said they could feel the sag with their feet. Shouldn't they also take up all the old tar paper to know if there is damage underneath?

absolutely yes

Yes, this is a normal practice? Or, yes, they should take up the old tar paper?

Take off all tar paper so you can inspect what is underneath. I can't see how it did not come off with the shingles, Every roof we do everything comes off, Then fix what you see is delaminated or wet.
Good luck, sounds like you have a fly by night crew.

Definitely need to take off the old tar paper to see what's underneath. I would think that it would be extremely hard to see if all the nails were removed before putting down the new tar paper. Seems to me that you would risk compromising the new paper if you tore and punctured it a lot on the old nails that you missed. Taking everything off is the right was to do it, there are no exceptions to that. I think you have a crew trying to skimp so that they can make extra money by skipping a step.

Josh Jaros (The Woodlands, TX)

Its been my experience that when something dont smell right, you call the highest ranking, or ask to speak with the owner. Then tell them good friends of yours have said no roof gets a "tear off" without all paper and nails coming off, before new paper goes down. Then ask for it to be done, or you want a written warrinty on their workmanship. Good luck....

My brother has a small house 1100 square feet. The roof needs to be changed. It leaks often and living room ceiling is sagging.
A roofer has told "that the whole thing" should come out and it will cost $5,500.00.
Can you guide us what does the "whole thing" means, what should we look for in the roofer, warranty? and is the price right?

;)Well it depends on the style of roof you are putting back in. Usually it is an asphalt or fiberglass matt shingle you will install. Just like the ones that came off.
1. Remove all old roofing and tar paper.
2. Check all boards or plywood for damage and nail down loose boards. Any replaced boards will usually cost extra because that is more work which was not visible until the shingles where removed.
3. Install new metal drip edge at the bottom of the roof, this is the stuff that lets water run into the gutter. Install Ice and water membrane at the bottom 3 feet of roof and in valleys (where 2 roofs meet).This is basically a sticky rubber membrane to keep ice dams and water from coming into the attic space. And last, install a metal rake edge at the side edges or ends of the roof to hold down the tar paper.
4. install any boots over pipes which protrude out of the roof for plumbing or vents out the roof.
5. Install the new shingles, which you picked.
6. Install any metal flashings for chimneys or skylights.
7. Install any ridge vent and soffit vents to complete the system if it needs it.
These are the things usually included.
If you post a pic of the roof and what the roofer comes up with we can look at it further.
Good luck.

thanks a lot u have been very helpful. I am out of town I will be back in a week and I will post the picture of the roof.

Back