New sliding door- half *** installers!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Just had this nice vinyl sliding door installed last week. Look at this piss poor job of sill flashing! Why would they taper the side flanges?! Oh and there's no back dam so what's going to stop water from rolling under my flooring?!? Unbelievable and I'm so PISSED at myself for not catching them on this!! Where I drew arrows in pic between the hardwood floor there's a gap about 3/16" between flooring and door and I can see the plywood subfloor! That's when I realized the flashing they installed was likely improper without a back dam which should butt right up to the edge of flooring. Correct me if I'm wrong please!

Attachments

• IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1214.PNG
    IMG_1214.PNG
    327.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 21
Did you have a written contract stating how the door would be installed? If you do, have them come back and fix it.

And you are right, that is no where near the correct way to install an exterior door.

I do not like it one little bit. I would build a curb or stoup at the bottom of the door frame to separate outside from inside. and then install weather and vapor barriers . I can just see all sorts of water, snow ice coming in at the bottom .

It looks like there is no treated wood sill under the sliding door.

The door seems to be just laying on the same plane as the deck.

The door needs to be up higher, so snow and rain can’t just run right under it, into the house.

And of course, everything needs flashing to carry water down and away.

Well the general manager of the company came by today to measure for a window install and i mentioned the concern I had and when I told him that the flashing wasn't made/installed right because it down have a back dam. He looks at me and says "what do u mean?"
So after I proceed to inform him of the back dam on a piece of flashing and its purpose he interrupts and says "oh yeah we use a sealer because that's the way we always do it and we don't use that Lowes flashing because I cannot tell you how many we have to replace, so we just use a sealer caulk and that should keep any water out"

Unfortunately the sales
contract didn't mention anything about installation methods neither did my Warranty paperwork.
I'm currently looking up any building codes in my area of Chicago/Northwest Indiana, to see if it mentions anything about flashing installations and if I'm covered on a bad install, they will have to get it right. Pic below is gap and shows subfloor and improper flashing.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 7
Do they have to have an inspection from your village or county?
Inspector will know if it is wrong.

Either way, you can anonymously call your building code dept and ask about flashing and curbs or sills for patio doors off a wood deck.

They might even volunteer to drop over to advise you. You might have to pay a small fee, but it beats everything rotting away in a few short years.

And your flooring might buckle up or rot also.

Do they have to have an inspection from your village or county?
Inspector will know if it is wrong.

Either way, you can anonymously call your building code dept and ask about flashing and curbs or sills for patio doors off a wood deck.

They might even volunteer to drop over to advise you. You might have to pay a small fee, but it beats everything rotting away in a few short years.

And your flooring might buckle up or rot also.
I'll be calling them tomorrow to ask about them codes. Thanks Jeff

Ask for a framing inspector or a siding inspector. Anyone in that area of business would probably know your answer.
10-4 will do! Was searching on the web for exact code for this type of installation and could not find any form of literature other than building code books that are for sale or some pricey downloadable versions.

I don't recall specific flashing details in the building code (I may be wrong) but it is certainly a best practice rule. I laways used lead sheeting in a roll. I would roll it out he full width and up the jack studs 4" and leave enough inside to form the "back dam". I then spent some time forming the lead to warp around the outside and to form the dam inside. That aluminum piece is garbage.

I don't recall specific flashing details in the building code (I may be wrong) but it is certainly a best practice rule. I laways used lead sheeting in a roll. I would roll it out he full width and up the jack studs 4" and leave enough inside to form the "back dam". I then spent some time forming the lead to warp around the outside and to form the dam inside. That aluminum piece is garbage.
Yeah and to make matters worse he sealed it by just zigzagging a bead across the whole thing! How will water flow like that. Idiots! And the company has the nerve to call these guys "master installers" lol

That would pass code or really close to it today. The way they left this water can get in the side and run down and miss the pan and get to the floor. They either don't know or don't care.

Back