New Window Installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John T

Reaction score
Normally I do this kind of work myself but since this is our first stone home I contracted with a window replacement company to put in 6 new windows for us so I could follow the process and do the rest myself.

My concern is this, they seem to be using a hammer an awful lot, far more than I would have expected, to fit the windows into the openings. Does excessive hammering, and I don't mean tapping, have any adverse impact on the seals on the glass that holds the gas in between the panes?

Are these just replacement windows?
Replacement windows just slide into the old window frames after removing the inside window stop molding.
If so, these are made to size and should just slip in with no hammering needed if they where measured correctly.

This is one reason I like to do the work myself even if it's the first time for something. I'd much rather potentially make a mistake and know that it's my fault than to pay someone to hammer my windows into place.

How did this project turn out? Did you install some of the windows yourself? What did you learn from the process. I'm looking to replace some windows myself.

I had an install where they used the install instructions as a paper towel. IIRC, it was a Anderson exterior French door. And the snap-in muntins could have benefitted from a redesign.

Latest posts

Back