New windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurie

Reaction score
I am seeking advice. I live a a busy street. I recently had new windows installed. I thought that this would not only help with energy efficiency but also noise reduction. The noise seems just *** loud. Can anyone tell me how to fix this . I paid a good amount for these windows.

A window's acoustic performance is measured by its STC (Sound Transmission Class). You should have compared STC's and bought the window with the highest STC that you are willing to pay for. However, high STC windows can get quite expensive. Maybe you did buy high STC windows and were just overly optimistic on what to expect. Lots of info out there -- for example -- https://www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/discover/reference/acoustic_performance_in_windows

At this point, not too many options. Maybe planting a tree in front of the windows. Maybe put an acrylic panel on the inside (panel should be thick and air tight, ideally).

I had a house next to a noisy freeway that was built with single pane glass, a previous owner had added what looked cheap double pane inserts on the inside surface leaving about 3 inches between windows.
That was extremely helpful, we never slept with a window open.

Would Plexiglass dampen the noise at all? Spaced sort of like the inserts Frodo mentioned? I'd also go with thick curtains.

Back