No cornvirus thread???

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Krich

Reaction score
I figured somebody would be talkin 'bout how that cornvirus got everybody under coneteen by now...

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I figured somebody would be talkin 'bout how that cornvirus got everybody under coneteen by now...

It has popped up in a few threads. I started a thread years ago when we were having a super cold winter and posted my outside temp. It pops up from time to time and the last time it was people talking about taking their body temp.

I also have a thread running on things we do with too much time on our hands. That started when I retired but now quite a few people are in the position where they have extra time. I talked to a guy that works at home depot and he said paint sales have been so high. He figured it had to do with people sitting around because of this.

So now we have a thread for talk about it.

We went yellow a week ago. Half of Pa. stayed Red. We have counties that have only seen one or two cases and quickly shut it down. I know an ER doc and he had his hours cut because not too many people are coming in. Just the opposite of what you would think. His wife is a RN and she had her hours cut to zero for a while.

We follow the rules but around here with the good weather lots of people are pretty lax. I was at walmart the other day and everyone shopping had a mask on and all working except the two people slicing lunchmeat in the deli. I just shook my head.

How are you making out? 😷

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Personally, I've read, heard, seen enough of the Wuhan flu to last me 20 lifetimes. What can be said that hasn't already been said.

Now, don't get me wrong, if you have something to say or feel there's conversation that needs daylight, by all means feel free to contribute.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wine kills the virus. Yeah, I made that up, but currently in test mode to confirm whether it works or not.

shan2themax

Reaction score
I'm annoyed by the hoarding of upright freezers🙄. I ordered one 6 weeks ago to replace my chest freezer that I can no longer use, it's supposed to be delivered curbside mid June.

Also, I'm a nurse, between the 2 hospitals in my healthcare system we had over 1000 employees furloughed, several units closed and some days working short staffed. We are doing elective surgery now so it's filling back up and people are starting to come back to work.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I also am a student of the effects this is having on the country more so than the disease itself as bad as it was in some areas. For me it points out how really fragile our society really is, and how fear is far worse than the disease.

The supply chain and free enterprise left mostly alone will react and fill all demands or it used to. Now we are so dependent on what we need coming from so far away it is easy to disrupt or derail it for others demands.

There are a million examples but at Wal-Mart yesterday they had a large display of paper masks. We went over to take a look and the price was outrageous and we decided we didn’t need any at that price. On the way home she mentioned gouging on the pricing and I said maybe or maybe Wal-Mart was preventing hoarding by setting the price so high. We agreed it may just be a combination of them both. Supply and demand is all messed up at this point.

I used to go to the meat section after 4:00 and always find choice cuts marked down once or twice and buy them for close to half price. Take them home and eat them or freeze them. Now the display is near empty. At first I thought it was hoarding so I asked the meat guy I have become friendly with about it. He said no one is buying and they only put out what they get and hardly nothing is showing up. So beef is not making it to market and is just being held up is my guess unlike dairy that has to be milked and they are then dumping milk . The need for products like milk and meat hasn’t changed but the fragile supply chain reaction has it so messed up.

I can guarantee you there are people wanting to make upright freezers and truck drivers wanting to ship you one and stores wanting to sell you one. Who knows why you don’t have one I’m sure fear played some part and people that were on the fence about wanting one might have went that way and part of it is the disruption in the chain.

During this I ordered two wheels and tires from Harbor Freight and from half way across the country I had them in a couple days. Last week I ordered two subwoofers from Amazon and they are coming free shipping from California to my door in a week with free shipping. So the system is still working, but for things there is no fear of needing.

This whole thing should be a great teaching tool for our country, but I’m afraid it is being used for other reasons.

My 2 cents.

shan2themax

Reaction score
Bud, great talk! I agree, it's weird how some things are shipping. My refrigerator magnet calendar came in 2 days, but my crockpot I needed took 3 weeks... amazon said it was because it wasnt a priority item.... but a magnetic calendar is? Lol.
I was talking about the freezer at work today and one of the other nurses ordered a THIRD freezer!!! Her kids are grown up, i didnt ask why she needed 3. I will have 2 when mine arrives, but I had planned to pick a family that could benefit from a freezer and who may not be able to afford one, and give them the chest freezer that I have already.
I agree that our society is very fragile, we can see what would happen should a near apocalyptic event occur and it wont be pretty.
I just finished up my Bachelors degree a few weeks ago (WOOT WOOT) and my newest adventure is learning to can. After that, I may try quilting. I'm hoping my current back issue is easily fixable because I miss being able to do projects around the house.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I'm tired of all the Governors acting like Dictators, they remind me of little kids that have no power suddenly being put in control of something. The Emmy's for that outstanding bunch are clearly being won by Michigan and New Jersey. My Governor Swastika here in Montana would have a much tighter leash if he wasn't running for Senate.

The whole operation has been a giant scandal from day 1, with the "experts" like Fauci saying there was no need for masks, but then completely flipping on that. It's extremely disturbing to me that he backed funding for the Wuhan lab while at the NIAID. That's why they kept insisting that it was from the market until investigators figured it out. The people that are drunk on power are trying to control the narrative, but people will lose their minds real soon if they don't back off.

Now, looking at the world, I guess people in Angola are Superhuman, being that they have 10 percent of our population, but only 50 cases and 3 deaths. That's really weird, unless you factor in that Medicare pays hospitals much more for reported Covid cases and deaths than any other condition. I wonder why there was never a massive vaccine push for SARS or MERS? I'll end this rant with the truth. If you want to be free, you have to move to a free country, or you have to take yours back.

Now, on to more pleasant things, as far as meat, I suggest finding a local farm on the website Eat Wild. The one I found here has Grass Fed / Grass Finished for $4 /lb. for a Whole, or $4.50 for a Half. I would need another freezer, though, and didn't even think they would be in short supply.

Thanks for what you do, shan. You people are the only ones holding the severely flawed system together.

Latest posts