No corona virus thread???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krich

Reaction score
I figured somebody would be talkin 'bout how that cornvirus got everybody under coneteen by now...

I figured somebody would be talkin 'bout how that cornvirus got everybody under coneteen by now...

It has popped up in a few threads. I started a thread years ago when we were having a super cold winter and posted my outside temp. It pops up from time to time and the last time it was people talking about taking their body temp.

I also have a thread running on things we do with too much time on our hands. That started when I retired but now quite a few people are in the position where they have extra time. I talked to a guy that works at home depot and he said paint sales have been so high. He figured it had to do with people sitting around because of this.

So now we have a thread for talk about it.

We went yellow a week ago. Half of Pa. stayed Red. We have counties that have only seen one or two cases and quickly shut it down. I know an ER doc and he had his hours cut because not too many people are coming in. Just the opposite of what you would think. His wife is a RN and she had her hours cut to zero for a while.

We follow the rules but around here with the good weather lots of people are pretty lax. I was at walmart the other day and everyone shopping had a mask on and all working except the two people slicing lunchmeat in the deli. I just shook my head.

How are you making out? 😷

Personally, I've read, heard, seen enough of the Wuhan flu to last me 20 lifetimes. What can be said that hasn't already been said.

Now, don't get me wrong, if you have something to say or feel there's conversation that needs daylight, by all means feel free to contribute.

Wine kills the virus. Yeah, I made that up, but currently in test mode to confirm whether it works or not.

I'm annoyed by the hoarding of upright freezers🙄. I ordered one 6 weeks ago to replace my chest freezer that I can no longer use, it's supposed to be delivered curbside mid June.

Also, I'm a nurse, between the 2 hospitals in my healthcare system we had over 1000 employees furloughed, several units closed and some days working short staffed. We are doing elective surgery now so it's filling back up and people are starting to come back to work.

I also am a student of the effects this is having on the country more so than the disease itself as bad as it was in some areas. For me it points out how really fragile our society really is, and how fear is far worse than the disease.

The supply chain and free enterprise left mostly alone will react and fill all demands or it used to. Now we are so dependent on what we need coming from so far away it is easy to disrupt or derail it for others demands.

There are a million examples but at Wal-Mart yesterday they had a large display of paper masks. We went over to take a look and the price was outrageous and we decided we didn’t need any at that price. On the way home she mentioned gouging on the pricing and I said maybe or maybe Wal-Mart was preventing hoarding by setting the price so high. We agreed it may just be a combination of them both. Supply and demand is all messed up at this point.

I used to go to the meat section after 4:00 and always find choice cuts marked down once or twice and buy them for close to half price. Take them home and eat them or freeze them. Now the display is near empty. At first I thought it was hoarding so I asked the meat guy I have become friendly with about it. He said no one is buying and they only put out what they get and hardly nothing is showing up. So beef is not making it to market and is just being held up is my guess unlike dairy that has to be milked and they are then dumping milk . The need for products like milk and meat hasn’t changed but the fragile supply chain reaction has it so messed up.

I can guarantee you there are people wanting to make upright freezers and truck drivers wanting to ship you one and stores wanting to sell you one. Who knows why you don’t have one I’m sure fear played some part and people that were on the fence about wanting one might have went that way and part of it is the disruption in the chain.

During this I ordered two wheels and tires from Harbor Freight and from half way across the country I had them in a couple days. Last week I ordered two subwoofers from Amazon and they are coming free shipping from California to my door in a week with free shipping. So the system is still working, but for things there is no fear of needing.

This whole thing should be a great teaching tool for our country, but I’m afraid it is being used for other reasons.

My 2 cents.

Bud, great talk! I agree, it's weird how some things are shipping. My refrigerator magnet calendar came in 2 days, but my crockpot I needed took 3 weeks... amazon said it was because it wasnt a priority item.... but a magnetic calendar is? Lol.
I was talking about the freezer at work today and one of the other nurses ordered a THIRD freezer!!! Her kids are grown up, i didnt ask why she needed 3. I will have 2 when mine arrives, but I had planned to pick a family that could benefit from a freezer and who may not be able to afford one, and give them the chest freezer that I have already.
I agree that our society is very fragile, we can see what would happen should a near apocalyptic event occur and it wont be pretty.
I just finished up my Bachelors degree a few weeks ago (WOOT WOOT) and my newest adventure is learning to can. After that, I may try quilting. I'm hoping my current back issue is easily fixable because I miss being able to do projects around the house.

I'm tired of all the Governors acting like Dictators, they remind me of little kids that have no power suddenly being put in control of something. The Emmy's for that outstanding bunch are clearly being won by Michigan and New Jersey. My Governor Swastika here in Montana would have a much tighter leash if he wasn't running for Senate.

The whole operation has been a giant scandal from day 1, with the "experts" like Fauci saying there was no need for masks, but then completely flipping on that. It's extremely disturbing to me that he backed funding for the Wuhan lab while at the NIAID. That's why they kept insisting that it was from the market until investigators figured it out. The people that are drunk on power are trying to control the narrative, but people will lose their minds real soon if they don't back off.

Now, looking at the world, I guess people in Angola are Superhuman, being that they have 10 percent of our population, but only 50 cases and 3 deaths. That's really weird, unless you factor in that Medicare pays hospitals much more for reported Covid cases and deaths than any other condition. I wonder why there was never a massive vaccine push for SARS or MERS? I'll end this rant with the truth. If you want to be free, you have to move to a free country, or you have to take yours back.

Now, on to more pleasant things, as far as meat, I suggest finding a local farm on the website Eat Wild. The one I found here has Grass Fed / Grass Finished for $4 /lb. for a Whole, or $4.50 for a Half. I would need another freezer, though, and didn't even think they would be in short supply.

Thanks for what you do, shan. You people are the only ones holding the severely flawed system together.

This whole virus thing has sure gone viral, hasn't it?

It's crazy times for sure. My facility still has one unit closed and one unit only doing certain things. I am getting ready to work the next 4 days, so I am sure that there is a possibility we are totally up and running.... but I'm not convinced it will be.
I've gotten so I dont.post about it at all on facebook. It's a touchy subject to alot of people. I see it from both sides. I wish people would listen instead of spreading false information. For instance..... hospitals are empty because most revenue comes from elective procedures..... no procedures, not as much need for beds. You cant just willy Billy stick COVID-19 patients on the same floor as med-surg/cardiac patients. So the lack of full parking lots or filled to capacity hospitals is because there arent procedures being done at the same capacity.
You cant teach people who dont want to be taught.... wash your hands, stay away from.people who are sick or if you are sick, sneeze into your shirt (not onto), keep your hands off your face. All things were were taught in kindergarten.
Anyways, I hope.everyone is safe and HAPPY. We arent promised tomorrow take advantage of today.

I live about 10 min from a JBS meat plant. It's probably THE plant if not one of the biggest beef plants in the US. The reason you don't have much beef on the shelves right now is because there was a mass out break of the virus at the plant. They had to use the local Universities dorms for the spill over from the hospital. So the cows are still out there, there just isn't anybody to butcher them. They changed their stuff around and are now back to work but I would say their capacity to crank out beef is down by at least 60%. So beef will SLOWLY start to trickle back into the stores at a very limited supply. The rules for distancing don't allow for mass production of anything ESPECIALLY time sensitive products like beef. So unless you have a local butcher, and a local person raising, your out of luck. I have both and they are both swamped with business. The rules also have introduced extensive additional costs to the plant. They hired more cleaning staff, and have to supply and unending amount of PPE. So yes the price of your beef is going to skyrocket. I don't believe anybody is price gouging. I have local examples of the fact that to get butchered meat to your store it's now costing 25% more if you have a plant withing 100 miles. Drastically more cost for more distance. The poor grocery store clerks are getting the brunt of the stress because most people are yelling at them because of the price of things, but the reality is the company isn't going to loose money to get you your "stuff" otherwise they have to close down, and a lot of them are dangerously close to closing already. Again not globally I'm speaking about my area locally ( which happens to have the #1 global provider of beef).

Have you noticed amazon is canceling most if not all of their "amazon basics" items? I've order 3 in the last couple of months and all 3 were deliveries were cancelled. I suspect they had the exact same problem JBS is having. Warehouses are a terrible place for viruses. The items that come from a different location all still get delivered, but the Amazon warehouses aren't cranking much if anything out. I worked in a software packaging plant 20 years ago and they basically lined people up shoulder to shoulder on a production line having them fold, pack, and label as fast as their hand could move.... that isn't going to happen anymore with any products.

I can feel for the meat packers plight but lets not forget the farmer that has a multi year pipeline getting meat to market. He is left holding and feeding his stock until a point in time the market return. The cost of the slowdown on the processing end can be made up as supply is low and demand is high. It is the exact opposite from the farmers side of the pipeline. Because of the slowdown demand is low and supply is high and not only is it costing the farmer in lost sales he is also in a market with too much supply. Meat, dairy etc is a long running deal. If a farmer has 200 milking cows and the supply chain slows he cant throw a switch and start milking 100. Well he can but for that to happen he needs to beef his dairy cows and sell them into a low market and then this is over and it takes him a few years to build the number back up.

The farmers have got some help thru this and taken a lot of heat for it also.

All this is why you see Walmart building a huge dairy operation and every day another family dairy goes under here.

Just to clarify. 7 people have died and 280 confirmed cases of covid-19 at the local plant as of the beginning of last month.

I live about 10 min from a JBS meat plant. It's probably THE plant if not one of the biggest beef plants in the US. The reason you don't have much beef on the shelves right now is because there was a mass out break of the virus at the plant. They had to use the local Universities dorms for the spill over from the hospital. So the cows are still out there, there just isn't anybody to butcher them. They changed their stuff around and are now back to work but I would say their capacity to crank out beef is down by at least 60%. So beef will SLOWLY start to trickle back into the stores at a very limited supply. The rules for distancing don't allow for mass production of anything ESPECIALLY time sensitive products like beef. So unless you have a local butcher, and a local person raising, your out of luck. I have both and they are both swamped with business. The rules also have introduced extensive additional costs to the plant. They hired more cleaning staff, and have to supply and unending amount of PPE. So yes the price of your beef is going to skyrocket. I don't believe anybody is price gouging. I have local examples of the fact that to get butchered meat to your store it's now costing 25% more if you have a plant withing 100 miles. Drastically more cost for more distance. The poor grocery store clerks are getting the brunt of the stress because most people are yelling at them because of the price of things, but the reality is the company isn't going to loose money to get you your "stuff" otherwise they have to close down, and a lot of them are dangerously close to closing already. Again not globally I'm speaking about my area locally ( which happens to have the #1 global provider of beef).

Have you noticed amazon is canceling most if not all of their "amazon basics" items? I've order 3 in the last couple of months and all 3 were deliveries were cancelled. I suspect they had the exact same problem JBS is having. Warehouses are a terrible place for viruses. The items that come from a different location all still get delivered, but the Amazon warehouses aren't cranking much if anything out. I worked in a software packaging plant 20 years ago and they basically lined people up shoulder to shoulder on a production line having them fold, pack, and label as fast as their hand could move.... that isn't going to happen anymore with any products.

I am confused as to why 90/10 beef is my area is cheaper then 80/20 😳🤷🏼‍♀️
I assume you are talking about ground meat.

The only answer I can think of is a lot of dairies are going under and good milking cows are being sold for beef as other dairies are having a hard time and not wanting to expand in size right now. Dairy cows are very lean and are often made into all burger as they are in general a little tougher cut of meat.

That could be one explanation and again supply and demand if there is a lot of something then the price goes down.

The first time I made a hamburger from dairy farm ground meat I made it to shrink up like I always have and I got laughed at when my burgers were twice the size of the buns.

Yes bud! There has been almost zero shrinkage.... makes sense with that description!

One of my local grocers bought beef tenderloin from cruise ships. The first couple of weeks he sold the whole tenderloin for $7.99/lb
I'm not fancy so I had never had it. I had them cut it into 1" stick and then they ground 3# into ground beef. My goodness, that was THE MOST delicious burger I have ever had! I actually bought 2. The second one, I fixed as a tenderloin and it was delicious. I still have the steaks from the first tenderloin. I might make some this week. Or at least make omelettes with one or 2 of them.

Yeah, too bad we're turning in to a nation of cup cakes!

Without a survival rate of over 98%, this chinese communist party virus is no where near as bad as the media makes it out to be with their constant fear mongering. Pathetic!

While I understand your thought and agree partially, I am almost 65. I am active and take care of my 40 ac. every day, but I really don't relish the thought of joining the roughly 240,000 people from teens to 90 somethings who are 6' under. Some of those people who were absolutely convinced this is an overblown figment of every ones imagination are among that 240,000. I realize that if you say that number really fast it doesn't sound like a lot, but sit down and write "It won't happen to me." 240,00 times and I bet you get hand cramps.

Yes and the books are being cooked to claim far more people have died from this than actually have. The CDC let the cat out of the bad a couple of months ago when they said less than 10k had died directly from this virus and all others had on average 2.6 major health issues which is what they actually died from.

And more recently they said out of the number being claimed to have died from the virus 51k actually died of a heart attack.

There is a narrative in play here to control the masses and what better way to do this than thru the fear of death?

We're all going to die eventually and those that have made reservations with JC to join Him in the afterlife have no fear of death and are actually looking forward to leaving this sin sick, God forsaken dark, violent, disgusting world!

It's all comes down to who's kool-aid you want to drink

Back