Quantcast

No corona virus thread???

Help Support House Repair Talk:

femgroup

Reaction score
They can't know the long term effects of the vaccine, Just look at other meds that worked in trials but not in the long haul. Thalidomide, treated morning sickness and deformed thousands of babies. Zantac, treated acid reflux, and caused cancer. Celebrex (Vioxx) treated pain and caused heart attacks and many other drugs. They all tested safe in short trials but were deadly in the long term. As far as the stimulus check, many seniors who are on fixed income have suffered because of the raise in grocery prices.

You have a point, but you have to believe that systems and approaches to research have changed since (in the case of Thalidomide) 1950. Celebrex remains on the market with SERIOUS guidance as to dosage. As for Zantac, it was taken off the market because of "concerns that the medication may contain a cancer-causing chemical that's also been detected in certain blood pressure medications." There are capable alternatives to Zantac, such as Nexium and Prevacid. My point is that none of *those* issues should affect the usage of this vaccine, in the sense that it's not a daily drug, it's a one-time shot and prevent mechanism.

It still may be a problem, but in my opinion, not in the same way as those you cited. My understanding is that health care workers, and first responders are to receive the first batch. As far as I'm concerned, if that roll out is successful, I'll be trying to jostle to the front of the line.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You have a point, but you have to believe that systems and approaches to research have changed since (in the case of Thalidomide) 1950. Celebrex remains on the market with SERIOUS guidance as to dosage. As for Zantac, it was taken off the market because of "concerns that the medication may contain a cancer-causing chemical that's also been detected in certain blood pressure medications." There are capable alternatives to Zantac, such as Nexium and Prevacid. My point is that none of *those* issues should affect the usage of this vaccine, in the sense that it's not a daily drug, it's a one-time shot and prevent mechanism.

It still may be a problem, but in my opinion, not in the same way as those you cited. My understanding is that health care workers, and first responders are to receive the first batch. As far as I'm concerned, if that roll out is successful, I'll be trying to jostle to the front of the line.
I wish you luck. The HPV vaccine has only been out a few years and has a long list of side effects. These are the recognized side effects.

• Blood clots.
  • Seizures.
  • Guillain-Barré syndrome.
  • Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.
  • Mylgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.
  • Death.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
And don't forget the shingles vaccine. A common side effect is shingles.

femgroup

Reaction score
I wish you luck. The HPV vaccine has only been out a few years and has a long list of side effects. These are the recognized side effects.

• Blood clots.
  • Seizures.
  • Guillain-Barré syndrome.
  • Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.
  • Mylgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.
  • Death.
Both of my daughters got the HPV shot. Never heard of those side effects you listed when we made our decision, and a quick Google search (just now) didn't illuminate it either. If the first responders respond well, I'm going in.

femgroup

Reaction score
And don't forget the shingles vaccine. A common side effect is shingles.
That would be a problem, but i think the same thing happens with a minute number of flu shots every year. But, i get one each year, especially since 2012, when i felt the flu i got that year was gonna kill me.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
Both of my daughters got the HPV shot. Never heard of those side effects you listed when we made our decision, and a quick Google search (just now) didn't illuminate it either. If the first responders respond well, I'm going in.
Google scrubs everything to their liking. If what you're looking for sways 2 degrees off their chosen mainstream path, you aren't allowed to see it.

Here is a real source for anything in the med field.

femgroup

Reaction score
Google scrubs everything to their liking. If what you're looking for sways 2 degrees off their chosen mainstream path, you aren't allowed to see it.

Here is a real source for anything in the med field.

Gotcha. Appears to be another source.

So far, so good with my daughters. They are young mothers now.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
My understanding about Google is they try to predict what they think you want to see and show you that. How do they know what you want to see? They track everything you do as best they can. If you have a gmail address, watch Youtube, have an Android phone, use any other Google devices around your home, etc. then you've probably shown Google a whole lot about your life and your preferences.

Google does this because leveraging that information is how they make money. If Starbucks and Chick-Fil-A both come to Google and say "We'll give you $X if you make our links show up in search results of people who are likely to buy our products", Google can say "Sure, here's user A who is a latte-sipping Prius-driver, so he gets the Starbucks link. Here is user B who is a Folgers-smacking F150-driver, he gets the Chick-Fil-A link."

If Google started showing the Folgers/F-150 guy the ad for Starbucks, then the Starbucks people would go to Google and say "We're not seeing the clicks you promised! We're not paying you $X to show our link to people who aren't our target demographic" and Google would lose money.

This isn't to say you should trust Google or their search results (personally I only ever use DuckDuckGo because I like to remind myself that privacy is important), and it's true sometimes they moderate specific results if they're worried about perpetuating certain things that run contrary to their leftwing politics (there was an example about Michelle Obama being compared to a gorilla once or something like that), but you can't exactly say Google scrubs everything to their liking. The case of what side effects certain drugs have doesn't seem clear cut enough to be explained by politics anyway. Probably you're seeing sources based on your other activity.

Once again, that is my layman's understanding and might be wrong.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
Well, some in the government are trying to get rid of Section 230 which protects Big Tech. The Left and Right are owned by Pharma, but Duckduckgo doesn't scrub the search "HPV side effects". Regardless though, my go to search for all medical topics is Green Med Info because they don't publish if there isn't scientific studies backing up the article.

As far as Google, I saw a video a long time ago where a guy took his battery and sim card out of his phone and drove around town on a planned route, then when he got back he hooked his phone up to a computer, and it knew everywhere he had gone. Facebook is the same. I don't use it, but the app is on my phone and I can't remove it.

I leave it home because it's known that they track everywhere you go. They probably think I'm a perfect obedient Covid slave!!

femgroup

Reaction score
My understanding about Google is they try to predict what they think you want to see and show you that. How do they know what you want to see? They track everything you do as best they can. If you have a gmail address, watch Youtube, have an Android phone, use any other Google devices around your home, etc. then you've probably shown Google a whole lot about your life and your preferences.

Google does this because leveraging that information is how they make money. If Starbucks and Chick-Fil-A both come to Google and say "We'll give you $X if you make our links show up in search results of people who are likely to buy our products", Google can say "Sure, here's user A who is a latte-sipping Prius-driver, so he gets the Starbucks link. Here is user B who is a Folgers-smacking F150-driver, he gets the Chick-Fil-A link."

If Google started showing the Folgers/F-150 guy the ad for Starbucks, then the Starbucks people would go to Google and say "We're not seeing the clicks you promised! We're not paying you $X to show our link to people who aren't our target demographic" and Google would lose money.

This isn't to say you should trust Google or their search results (personally I only ever use DuckDuckGo because I like to remind myself that privacy is important), and it's true sometimes they moderate specific results if they're worried about perpetuating certain things that run contrary to their leftwing politics (there was an example about Michelle Obama being compared to a gorilla once or something like that), but you can't exactly say Google scrubs everything to their liking. The case of what side effects certain drugs have doesn't seem clear cut enough to be explained by politics anyway. Probably you're seeing sources based on your other activity.

Once again, that is my layman's understanding and might be wrong.
You had me until the following: " it's true sometimes they moderate specific results if they're worried about perpetuating certain things that run contrary to their leftwing politics (there was an example about Michelle Obama being compared to a gorilla once or something like that)"

That seems to infer if their politics skewed to the right that they would promote the idea that Michelle Obama would be compared to a gorilla?

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
@femgroup

Let me clarify. The whole story, if I'm remembering it right (and I might not be) was that there were some internet trolls who wanted to teach Google a lesson, or maybe just troll the public, so they orchestrated a campaign to upload a bunch of pictures of gorillas with alt-text that said "Michelle Obama", so that Google would return pictures of gorillas when people searched for Michelle Obama.

Google picked up on this and decided to intervene by overriding that particular search result by manually adjusting their algorithm, which they normally wouldn't do. But, this was not without some trepidation and debate over whether that was the right move, and some people (maybe external to Google?) noted that there were political implications since Google was coming to the defense of a left-wing public figure, plus there were racial implications and so on. They asked "Would Google have done the same for a white right-wing public figure?"

I personally am not sure, and I kinda think they wouldn't because there's a philosophy of "white people already have it good so they don't need any protection" that's unfortunately common among some parts of the political Left, and I'm pretty sure it's common on the Google campus too.

But another point to make clear is this was an edge case and not SOP.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been taking Celebrex for 12 years. This post has caused me concern and I have quit taking it. Now, I am in pain from my knee replacements, but I don;t know what is worse, knee pain or a heart attack?

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I would be bringing a medical question like that to a doctor, not a bunch of DIYers. If you don't have faith in your doctor's knowledge, you may have the wrong doctor.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bbuttt, I thought you guys were experts?

I trust Rusty 100%. Someone that old must have extraordinary knowledge!

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I've been taking Celebrex for 12 years. This post has caused me concern and I have quit taking it. Now, I am in pain from my knee replacements, but I don;t know what is worse, knee pain or a heart attack?
Have you tried DMSO or Arnica gel? I could write a long story about DMSO, but will keep it simple...

Blew out knees in HS/Military, Boss said his Navy Teams used DMSO, I did circa 1998, no real problems to this day.

Both my knees pop, and I will blow them out occasionally, basically ripping either the ACL or MCL a little (Never diagnosed). Within a day, they are fine, and I haven't re-applied DMSO in probably 10 years.

They use it on Race Horses, and it says right on the bottle "not for human use" HA! Don't worry about that at all.

Here is a search that might have more info.. As far as NSAID's, they are all very Russian Roulette like.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Isn't pot legal in Kommiefornia?

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, DMSO gave me garlic breath but had no effect on my pain. I tried CBD OILS, got an instant headache, didn't work. Pot, we outlawed it in my city and won't go there.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
Yeah, DMSO gave me garlic breath but had no effect on my pain. I tried CBD OILS, got an instant headache, didn't work. Pot, we outlawed it in my city and won't go there.
Well, if you have to take Celebrex, I would strengthen the circulatory system with Cayenne Tea every day, and other cardio protective herbs, so if you do have a Heart Attack, the chance for damage is lessened. I would go further with complete blood cleansing with Burdock Root as well to protect against a Stroke.

I would also talk to a Naturopath because they can tell you more based on any other drugs you take along with interactions and all that fun stuff.

Are you against Weed because you're a former LEO? My Brother has a shattered ankle and found a strain that takes all the pain away after 20 plus years being out of luck, and trying every boot made. He doesn't smoke, and it doesn't make him high. Just an edible. He can also drive fine.

femgroup

Reaction score
@femgroup

Let me clarify. The whole story, if I'm remembering it right (and I might not be) was that there were some internet trolls who wanted to teach Google a lesson, or maybe just troll the public, so they orchestrated a campaign to upload a bunch of pictures of gorillas with alt-text that said "Michelle Obama", so that Google would return pictures of gorillas when people searched for Michelle Obama.

Google picked up on this and decided to intervene by overriding that particular search result by manually adjusting their algorithm, which they normally wouldn't do. But, this was not without some trepidation and debate over whether that was the right move, and some people (maybe external to Google?) noted that there were political implications since Google was coming to the defense of a left-wing public figure, plus there were racial implications and so on. They asked "Would Google have done the same for a white right-wing public figure?"

I personally am not sure, and I kinda think they wouldn't because there's a philosophy of "white people already have it good so they don't need any protection" that's unfortunately common among some parts of the political Left, and I'm pretty sure it's common on the Google campus too.

But another point to make clear is this was an edge case and not SOP.
Seems to me that anybody's idea of decency would compel them to come to defense of anybody in which they could determine nefarious type stuff, but whatever. I'm from the so-called "political left", and in all of my 40 years of active involvement, I have never heard, seen written, been party to or detected that "white people already have it good so they don't need any protection". I don't want to belabor this, but i'm betting you can't substantiate the idea that such a sentiment is "common among some parts of the political Left".

My experience with the politics of such is that the policies of the left are embraced, but there is a lot of tension around the idea that a lot of initiatives are "for the blacks" as it has been said to me by conservative colleagues. This of course, was levied against most non-discriminatory legislation by people who conveniently forget that it means they won't be discriminated against as well. It stopped a whole lot of that 'firing at will' stuff, just because one, for instance, may not be liked. Of course, I'm assuming you realize this, and are aware of the political messaging that creates this tension.

This tension has created years-long careers out of folks that wouldn't be qualified otherwise to perform as dog catchers.

Anyway, this started out as a post about vaccinations, or something.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some really great comments on this thread. As far as me, my old profession as ND marijuana, sure, I've had fun in my hay day, but never liked pot. Worse yet, is the potency of pot these days. Good lord, some is worse than the strongest drugs of the past. Nope, pot makes me feel lazy, ugly and worthless.