No corona virus thread???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And don't forget the shingles vaccine. A common side effect is shingles.

Both of my daughters got the HPV shot. Never heard of those side effects you listed when we made our decision, and a quick Google search (just now) didn't illuminate it either. If the first responders respond well, I'm going in.

Google scrubs everything to their liking. If what you're looking for sways 2 degrees off their chosen mainstream path, you aren't allowed to see it.

Here is a real source for anything in the med field.

https://www.greenmedinfo.com/anti-therapeutic-action/vaccination-hpv-gardasil

My understanding about Google is they try to predict what they think you want to see and show you that. How do they know what you want to see? They track everything you do as best they can. If you have a gmail address, watch Youtube, have an Android phone, use any other Google devices around your home, etc. then you've probably shown Google a whole lot about your life and your preferences.

Google does this because leveraging that information is how they make money. If Starbucks and Chick-Fil-A both come to Google and say "We'll give you $X if you make our links show up in search results of people who are likely to buy our products", Google can say "Sure, here's user A who is a latte-sipping Prius-driver, so he gets the Starbucks link. Here is user B who is a Folgers-smacking F150-driver, he gets the Chick-Fil-A link."

If Google started showing the Folgers/F-150 guy the ad for Starbucks, then the Starbucks people would go to Google and say "We're not seeing the clicks you promised! We're not paying you $X to show our link to people who aren't our target demographic" and Google would lose money.

This isn't to say you should trust Google or their search results (personally I only ever use DuckDuckGo because I like to remind myself that privacy is important), and it's true sometimes they moderate specific results if they're worried about perpetuating certain things that run contrary to their leftwing politics (there was an example about Michelle Obama being compared to a gorilla once or something like that), but you can't exactly say Google scrubs everything to their liking. The case of what side effects certain drugs have doesn't seem clear cut enough to be explained by politics anyway. Probably you're seeing sources based on your other activity.

Once again, that is my layman's understanding and might be wrong.

Well, some in the government are trying to get rid of Section 230 which protects Big Tech. The Left and Right are owned by Pharma, but Duckduckgo doesn't scrub the search "HPV side effects". Regardless though, my go to search for all medical topics is Green Med Info because they don't publish if there isn't scientific studies backing up the article.

As far as Google, I saw a video a long time ago where a guy took his battery and sim card out of his phone and drove around town on a planned route, then when he got back he hooked his phone up to a computer, and it knew everywhere he had gone. Facebook is the same. I don't use it, but the app is on my phone and I can't remove it.

I leave it home because it's known that they track everywhere you go. They probably think I'm a perfect obedient Covid slave!!

@femgroup

Let me clarify. The whole story, if I'm remembering it right (and I might not be) was that there were some internet trolls who wanted to teach Google a lesson, or maybe just troll the public, so they orchestrated a campaign to upload a bunch of pictures of gorillas with alt-text that said "Michelle Obama", so that Google would return pictures of gorillas when people searched for Michelle Obama.

Google picked up on this and decided to intervene by overriding that particular search result by manually adjusting their algorithm, which they normally wouldn't do. But, this was not without some trepidation and debate over whether that was the right move, and some people (maybe external to Google?) noted that there were political implications since Google was coming to the defense of a left-wing public figure, plus there were racial implications and so on. They asked "Would Google have done the same for a white right-wing public figure?"

I personally am not sure, and I kinda think they wouldn't because there's a philosophy of "white people already have it good so they don't need any protection" that's unfortunately common among some parts of the political Left, and I'm pretty sure it's common on the Google campus too.

But another point to make clear is this was an edge case and not SOP.

I've been taking Celebrex for 12 years. This post has caused me concern and I have quit taking it. Now, I am in pain from my knee replacements, but I don;t know what is worse, knee pain or a heart attack?

Bbuttt, I thought you guys were experts?

I trust Rusty 100%. Someone that old must have extraordinary knowledge!

I've been taking Celebrex for 12 years. This post has caused me concern and I have quit taking it. Now, I am in pain from my knee replacements, but I don;t know what is worse, knee pain or a heart attack?

Have you tried DMSO or Arnica gel? I could write a long story about DMSO, but will keep it simple...

Blew out knees in HS/Military, Boss said his Navy Teams used DMSO, I did circa 1998, no real problems to this day.

Both my knees pop, and I will blow them out occasionally, basically ripping either the ACL or MCL a little (Never diagnosed). Within a day, they are fine, and I haven't re-applied DMSO in probably 10 years.

They use it on Race Horses, and it says right on the bottle "not for human use" HA! Don't worry about that at all.

Here is a search that might have more info.. As far as NSAID's, they are all very Russian Roulette like.

https://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/google-cse#gsc.q=knee replacement

Isn't pot legal in Kommiefornia?

Yeah, DMSO gave me garlic breath but had no effect on my pain. I tried CBD OILS, got an instant headache, didn't work. Pot, we outlawed it in my city and won't go there.

Yeah, DMSO gave me garlic breath but had no effect on my pain. I tried CBD OILS, got an instant headache, didn't work. Pot, we outlawed it in my city and won't go there.
Well, if you have to take Celebrex, I would strengthen the circulatory system with Cayenne Tea every day, and other cardio protective herbs, so if you do have a Heart Attack, the chance for damage is lessened. I would go further with complete blood cleansing with Burdock Root as well to protect against a Stroke.

I would also talk to a Naturopath because they can tell you more based on any other drugs you take along with interactions and all that fun stuff.

Are you against Weed because you're a former LEO? My Brother has a shattered ankle and found a strain that takes all the pain away after 20 plus years being out of luck, and trying every boot made. He doesn't smoke, and it doesn't make him high. Just an edible. He can also drive fine.

Some really great comments on this thread. As far as me, my old profession as ND marijuana, sure, I've had fun in my hay day, but never liked pot. Worse yet, is the potency of pot these days. Good lord, some is worse than the strongest drugs of the past. Nope, pot makes me feel lazy, ugly and worthless.

Well, we got on a tangent about Google because someone made a claim about Google scrubbing results for political reasons and therefore not being a trustworthy place to look up information about medicine. I felt the need to try and set the record straight. I don't really have a "side" I'm on so I try to represent everything evenly and that took us down a second tangent that was political. So, going down the rabbit hole is probably my fault.

This virus -- or specifically, the vaccine for it we expect to see later next year -- has made me realize I am very inconsistent and probably have no guiding principles on when I do and do not trust authorities to tell me what is safe.

Some really great comments on this thread. As far as me, my old profession as ND marijuana, sure, I've had fun in my hay day, but never liked pot. Worse yet, is the potency of pot these days. Good lord, some is worse than the strongest drugs of the past. Nope, pot makes me feel lazy, ugly and worthless.

Well, right. The Weed these days is sprayed with massive amounts of chemicals. I have never been much into it, but I do know the difference now from High School. In my Brother's case, the grower is inside, no chemicals, etc., and the dispensary follows those rules I guess.

Now, just opened this email about knee pain... Turmeric, Ginger and Black Pepper. Maybe that is why I don't have much knee pain. I have used all 3 in cooking for 2 decades or so I guess. Maybe my situation has nothing to do with DMSO.

I Hyperextended my knee this summer trying to kick a soccer ball, and was planted on the ground in intense pain. I had to crawl 50 yards into the house and sit around, unable to work, using a chair as a walker.. That lasted a day, and I was back to normal action the next evening, able to walk.

I would say maybe figure out a recipe you like and try it for a while.

https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/three-spice-combo-improves-chronic-knee-osteoarthritis

QUOTE="Spicoli43, post: 255272, member: 56609"]
Well, some in the government are trying to get rid of Section 230 which protects Big Tech. The Left and Right are owned by Pharma, but Duckduckgo doesn't scrub the search "HPV side effects". Regardless though, my go to search for all medical topics is Green Med Info because they don't publish if there isn't scientific studies backing up the article.

As far as Google, I saw a video a long time ago where a guy took his battery and sim card out of his phone and drove around town on a planned route, then when he got back he hooked his phone up to a computer, and it knew everywhere he had gone. Facebook is the same. I don't use it, but the app is on my phone and I can't remove it.

I leave it home because it's known that they track everywhere you go. They probably think I'm a perfect obedient Covid slave!![/QUOTE]
I would like to see a link to anything demonstrating that a cell phone can be tracked without any power source, I say no way. Also regarding section 230 that has had the right up in arms. Imo those companies are no different than the hundreds of radio stations that support the right so if they try to legislate away the freedom of speech of some tech companies, which are private companies, then they will have to similarly regulate a lot of other sources. Opens a whole can of worms if you ask me, not to mention ignoring the 1st amendment. BTW I do not have an account on any social media platform so I don't have a horse in the race.

QUOTE="Spicoli43, post: 255272, member: 56609"]

I leave it home because it's known that they track everywhere you go. They probably think I'm a perfect obedient Covid slave!!
I would like to see a link to anything demonstrating that a cell phone can be tracked without any power source, I say no way. Also regarding section 230 that has had the right up in arms. Imo those companies are no different than the hundreds of radio stations that support the right so if they try to legislate away the freedom of speech of some tech companies, which are private companies, then they will have to similarly regulate a lot of other sources. Opens a whole can of worms if you ask me, not to mention ignoring the 1st amendment. BTW I do not have an account on any social media platform so I don't have a horse in the race.
[/QUOTE]
The newer cars have a GPS they can read too.

Smartphones have small reserve batteries, or reserve a part of the normal battery, ostensibly to keep stuff like the clock going if your phone dies, but have been known to keep other functions going as well, at least enough to enable some basic tracking. Ed Snowden talked about this in his first interview with Joe Rogan.

(The Daily Mail is garbage like all other journalism, but the basic bulleted facts at the top of the article are probably true: Apple can track you even AFTER your iPhone battery dies)

I believe older flip phones like the one I use do not have this feature. If I remove my battery and SIM card I am truly off the radar. Just another good reason to downgrade!

The newer cars have a GPS they can read too.
[/QUOTE]

Well, there is tracking chips in the batteries, but I remember he took the battery out.

As far as section 230, what are you talking about in terms of freedom of speech for tech companies?

I'm talking about them blocking freedom of speech. Why should they be allowed to censor speech to their liking, such as twitter blocking the New York Post talking about the true story of Hunter Biden and his dealings with the Ukrainian company Burisma and Joe Biden threatening withholding aid if the prosecutor in Hunter's case wasn't fired?

If you are a Leftist organization such as Antifa, talking about burning down city blocks, they won't censor you.

I know nothing about section 230 but I don't see how Facebook/Twitter/Google have any obligation to be fair or permit speech. They're private companies. There's debate over whether their services amount to "public platforms" but it's astounding to me that anyone takes those ideas seriously. Imagine going to the hardware store barefoot and saying they're violating your rights by asking you to put on shoes. Or if someone came on here calling other people names or spamming erection pills and then saying his rights were violated when he got banned.

What the tech companies should not do, however, is CLAIM they are being absolutely fair when they aren't. That is false advertising, potentially fraud in some cases. Being absolutely fair, and still providing any kind of decent/coherent experience, is probably impossible anyway because of all the edge cases and judgment calls, even if the companies were run by space aliens without any skin in the game.

(Sorry again for off-topic.)

Latest posts

Back