no lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricC

Reaction score
I used a device on the receptacle and it reads hot and ground reverse. What does that mean? Also lights don't work, reading 120v ground to hot and switch leg to ground, but lights are not able to go on. Help?

It means open neutral(white ) wire.

Its the same problem. Its my in laws house, I'm there usually once every two weeks. That's why I haven't fix the problem. But listen to this, the circuit breaker is a double pole single throw. So when both r on I get voltage on the circuit, and when I turn one off I still get voltage, when I turn the one that was off to on and the on to off I still get voltage, current. So when either one or both r on I get voltage. I get 120V and a reading of hot and ground reverse. I'm trying to explain as best as I can, sorry for the inconvenience.

If you remove the panel cover you will find that this is a three wire, black red and white. Power goes out on black and red and they both use the same white wire. I believe you still have a bad connection on the white. In the main box or the switch box or some other box in between. If not you have a damaged wire.

Ok guys thanks, I will let u know how it whent this weekend. I will be over there, thanks and have a happy new year.

Back