Non-destrucive way to remove ends of plastic drums?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point, adapting real plumbing supplies is probably a definite plus. Where did you find those nice drums?

Some guy on Craigslist. Or I think it was Offerup, which my wife uses.

I need a rain barrel on wheels. I could fill a barrel in one rainstorm at one of my valleys but don't want to leave a barrel in the courtyard. Maybe if it looked like an old world architectural pot but that would be expensive and breakable if it froze. At present I sometimes fill a plastic garbage can and dip water for flower watering. Maybe use a hand truck for transport.

@Eddie_T what's your situation? You're in a condo or something where there's shared space? Not clear on what the deal is with your courtyard. If a barrel is full of rainwater it is very difficult to move.

My house design has a brick courtyard in front. My trash container can hold around 250 lbs of water but I don't fill it. Plus it can get a bit sloshy when a hand truck is tilted for transport. I got it overfilled and had to siphon water out.

Oh, I see. Yeah in that case I'd say you probably should just put the rain barrel somewhere else. A 55 gal barrel will often fill up during a rainstorm even just from the rain that falls off a 2-car garage. I always try to put my rain barrels near where I'll be using the water.

I don't like gutters but I could put one on the back of my garage to fill a rain barrel and easily connect the overflow into my drainage system. Due to the way I designed my roofline a gutter on the rear of my garage would be only seven feet or less off the ground thus easy to clean. However my problem is usually too much rain rather than too little. We usually get around 70" per year.

@Eddie_T:

I am intrigued. What do you want to collect the water for?

What part of the country (or world?) are you in?

If you get that much rain I wonder if you could find some alternative way to collect it rather than roof --> gutter --> downspout --> barrel.

@Eddie_T:

I am intrigued. What do you want to collect the water for?

What part of the country (or world?) are you in?

If you get that much rain I wonder if you could find some alternative way to collect it rather than roof --> gutter --> downspout --> barrel.
I guess it's just because it's free if I don't have to pump it.

BTW I saw a YouTube video where a guy sunk the rim of a Lowes removable lid bucket into the top of a rain barrel.

I got a couple plastic drums to use as rain barrels. They look just like this:

56wt57_1_1.jpg

Is there a non-destructive way to remove either end of this type of barrel so it can be re-attached later?

No need to cut, just drill.

I just converted 4 barrels, just like yours. Might be a bit more than the $20 target you're looking for, but not by much.

Ah there's the trick I was looking for!

Attach a 6' - 7' piece of hose to the bottom of the barrel. Loop the hose up when you want the barrel to hold water. Lay the hose down to drain the barrel. Loop the hose up to a bracket but just below the top of the barrel to function as an 'overflow'. Aim or fasten/seal the end of the 'overflow hose' back into the existing drain into the ground when not using it to fill sprinkling can or whatever else.

This is a good thread! That video is great. Now I can visualize other things that might help using a copper wire or a piece of hose.

Last edited:
0527211842-00.jpg0527211842-01.jpg

I used that trick to install the flange. That's an old brass faucet I had laying around. Rain barrel is in place, just need to hook it up to the downspout and install the overflow. One more trip to Menards, and I'll get enough for the other rain barrel too.

I replied earlier when I had to get out of the house quick, didn't give all the info.

Bulkheads: I got them off of Amazon, not much $$$. Installing, even in a closed barrel, is a cinch.

Spigots: The bulkhead "output" has inside and outside threads. I recommend going with a spigot that uses the outside threads. My barrels have a 3/4" spigot, filling a watering can takes a good amount of time. There's head pressure from the amount of water in the barrel, but not enough to force water through quickly. I plan on hooking them up to a drip feeder, to water an approx 100sqft terraced veg garden.

Overflow: Damn. Go big. I got these in place a day before our first real thunderstorm of the season (Central Massachusetts), the barrels filled up in 15 minutes. Overflowed quickly. This on a 1000sqft ranch, 3 55gal barrels on the front of the house. Got 4 days of rain expected starting tomorrow, need to quickly get some improvements in place.

One more thing. 55 gallons sounds like a lot. Drained the barrels today watering the veg garden, realized it's not so much. Eventually I want to put a couple of 275 gallon holders in the back yard, fed from the back side of the roof and overflow from the front yard. Maybe three of them. Then solar powered pump to feed back up to the front gardens.

And one more thing....

If the barrels are translucent you'll get algae. You need to decide if that's good or bad for you.

I painted my translucent barrels with two coats of Kilz oil based primer, the 2 coats of latex the color of the house.

These barrels are on the front of the house, residential neighborhood. They almost seem to disappear, given the size.

pickle barrels are black and the lid screws off the entire top(55 gallon). I can usually find them on craigslist. There is a company that will ship them but they cost to much find a local food goods distribution center and they will usually sell them for $25 to $50. I have a distribution point for Rice Honey locally and they always have some to sell.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back