Non-permanent adhesive for holding things up to wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvsood

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been trying to hold things up against the wall (such as cords, picture frames, etc.) using 3M duct tape. It is not working too well. I am looking for a non-permanent adhesive solution that will do the job (don't want to put nails through these things, or into the wall either). What am I looking for?

Thanks for your time

For lightweight things you might get by with museum putty, just put that in your search engine. I tried it once and it depends on the wall. It wants a smooth wall. I gave up on that but I might try it again, getting as much surface area puttied as possible to grab the picture. For cables I have doubts it would work with a zip tie saddle because cable stiffness, but you could try. Also, there's plumber's putty which would be much cheaper. Might work just as well (or just as poorly). Again, I think only for light stuff.

Not for framed artwork. As far as I know the only way to hang that w/o penetration is called picture rail moulding. It's a wood rail that mounts near the ceiling or sometimes a high-up dado. Each picture needs 1-2 metal hooks that grip on the moulding, double hooks really where one side hooks on the moulding and the other holds nylon monofilament or wire or sturdy twine to hang the pictures from. Anyway, that's what I do. If there's a landlord involved, the landlord might even like it. Call it "a little crown moulding I would like to install, though not too fancy, it's only about an inch, inch and a half." Or be honest "tenants won't be tempted to make holes".

Last edited:
Google "Command products". They have a wide variety of uses and hold very well. I've been using them for years and when I remove them there isn't any mark at all.
I've found that stuff like museum wax, or "Fun Tack" can leave a slight "oil spot" on flat painted walls.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. I remember an apartment I had a few years ago had Command hooks in it, and they were strong enough to hold a wet towel. Command strips are probably a better fit for what I actually want to do though.

I have my doubts about putty, and since these are things I may want to move, installing a rail moulding doesn't seem appealing either.

Thanks for your replies, guys, I appreciate it.

Back