NorCal Drought Plants and Bamboo Options?

Discussion in 'Garden and Lawncare' started by RickVallejo, Dec 14, 2017.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 14, 2017 #1

RickVallejo

RickVallejo

RickVallejo

Hey folks not sure if this should go here or the decoration area. Seems like more of a 'what kinda plants work best' topic.

I recently moved to the bay area of northern California and finally have a yard to work with. HERE'S A PIC. I have a little front yard. It's pretty tiny, about 15 x 15ish; but I like restrictive challenges. Basically, I want some drought-resistant grasses and bigger plants. Can anyone recommend some good, larger draught-efficient plants that AREN'T succulents? I have plenty of those inside the house.

I also want to put some bamboo in a long, narrow box and plant it along the yardline (privacy). Which type can I control the best?

AND of course I want my focal point to be this Sasquatch statue. Because... hey I'm in the Pacific Northwest and I need a proper diplomat for visitors to meet upon arrival to my house.

Any recs from folks in the area?

2. Dec 14, 2017 #2

havasu

havasu

havasu

Bamboo is an extremely invasive species. You mentioned placing it into a box in the ground, and I too was told this is the way to control bamboo from taking over your entire yard.

maxdad118 and joecaption like this.