Not getting 24v from transformer secondary at control board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Start at the breaker and work down the line checking voltage. Somewhere along the line you will find a bad connection. Start with tightening the screws on the breaker. Over the last two months I have found twice a loose connection at the panel solved the problem.

That gets me a little nervous, opening up the breaker panel and poking around with a screwdriver. Finding the hot on that breaker isn't an issue but since all the commons tie into a master common track I'm not sure if I can identify the right one. Any advice?

Went ahead and checked tightness at the breaker. No issues. The furnace is the only thing on that breaker so I'll check the voltage at the J box switch in the attic next.

Well, well well. Thanks to Bud16415 I went once again in search of the source of lower voltage and found perfect 120v at the breaker box, then went into the attic Junction box sending power into the unit and found that the positive wire had slipped out of the back of the light switch in that box. It was still in far enough to look normal to all of us who inspected it until I took the switch out. it was still close enough to a proper connection that it was pulling the 100-108v, but this was not enough for the transformer. Simple loose wire that took a week and $400 of unnecessary expense. My mistake. Live and learn.

Glad we could help.

I have found in years of troubleshooting sometimes all you need is to explain a problem and have someone on the other side listen and make general comments. Forums are great to keep you focused and to not give up.

The second key to troubleshooting is when something changes or is out of place and take that as a clue. In this case it was the 108V.

Don’t be a stranger to the forum. Nice bunch of folks here and its ok to hang out when everything is working good.
:D

Having same issue myself straight wiring through breaker to primary which is 12ov on both secondary nothing hooked to 7 or 8v

Back