odour in basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My basement has a light smell. The best I can describe it is that it smells like "wet earth". It smells like this year round. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

I'm not sure if the smell comes from the sanitary back water valve, but the valve is covered, as shown in the 1st picture.

When I open the cover of the valve, I see that the crushed stones are a bit wet right by the valve, as shown in the 2nd picture. Is this normal?

There is also a stronger "wet earth" smell right by the valve. can the light smell in the basement be related to the smell near the back water valve?

Should I seal the little gap around the back water valve cover by the concrete basement floor? (i.e. the duct-taped area.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul

1.jpg

2.jpg

Basement are often wet and moldy. You might try cleaning the entire floor and walls. Get a dehumidifier or fan down there too. Think about damp proofing the exterior walls can solve the problem permanently.

I don't think it your sanitation pipe, but why don't you open it and see?

Thanks a lot Jungle.

Is it normal for the crushed stone to be a bit wet right by the valve? It has a darker color so I think it's wet. Will it cause mold growth or things like that?

Thanks.

Paul

Thanks a lot Jungle.

Is it normal for the crushed stone to be a bit wet right by the valve? It has a darker color so I think it's wet. Will it cause mold growth or things like that?

Thanks.

Paul

Well, wet smells could be anything. The washing machine can add to issues, and a dehumidifier will cure most dampness. If the area you are talking about gets a leak under the stone where you do not see, that could be the problem.
Feel free to dig with your hands down around the pipe to see how much water is there, and if there may be a leak. You will know right away if there is because it will smell terrible, not moldy or damp smells.
To get rid of the damp smell, pour a cup of bleach around the area., it will kill off most stuff in there.
Then let us know what you find.:)

Back