Oh My Gawd someone help me!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nin7

Reaction score
I am contracted to refinish what I believe to be knotty pine paneled walls....and I may have bitten off even more than I can chew! This project is a complete mess. So ok I thought I could sand them and get them just a hair lighter which is my clients biggest complaint. Naturally I treated them and cleaned the walls down first, then tried a furniture oil to see if it brightened it up some in that room...no go. so I sanded. Big mistake. Now I have five panels that look ok and one that is bare bones white! but....its been three days of harder work than I charged for. So now what? Are there any other creative alternatives to covering wood paneling other than painting them which is absolutely out of the question for me and my very patient client. Somebody get creative...cause I can't think!:eek:

You could always stain it something dark like dark walnut. The stain won't make the lighter color stand out as much. You could always use a whitewash. It wouldn't be complete white color like painting, but a light, transparent white.

Pine is absolutely horrble to try to stain! LOL

You will have dark boards and light boards, bright grain and dark..
The stain will wipe right down to bare wood in places and soak in deep and dark in others at random.
The best you can do is to use an orbital sander with 120 grit, clean it up as evenly as possible. Then apply a stain evenly with a brush, wiping down after it gets a little tacky to touch. The grain will pop out and the knots will glare at you, but that is the nature of pine.

Good luck brave soul! :)

Welcome to the Forum, NIN:
There was a lot of pine used in the 50s and early 60s. It was typically sealed with orange shellac, lightly sanded or steel wooled and varnished two more coats. The best you can do for it, in my opinion, is to clean it up with Murphy Oil Soap. That will get the smoke and grime of the years off and leave the wood with a nice shine.
You have my sympathy if you are trying to do any more than clean it up.
Glenn

I have two main suggestions. I refinished furniture for years and learned a lot. Sq. eye is right pine can do what it wants. So as far as staining the trick is to use some netrual (natural) stain to bring the color down, that way in the spots that soak up huge amounts it wont get as dark. trial and error with lots of wiping and blending. touch up some spots with straight stain others with just the clear. wipe wipe wipe adjust wipe. steel wool works wonders also.
CAUTION! Do NOT leave any rags with stain or finish on around. They will catch fire by themselves. soak in water and leave away from any structures (read the label)

idea #2 use "go-jo" or "goop" or a waterless hand cleaner (w/o pumice or grit, and no citrus stuff) on some 00 or 000 or even 0000 steel wool. scrub, wipe with a rag. This has worked wonders for me.

P.S bid more next time.

This will only help for next time...use a preconditioning stain called wood conditioner for pine. This is an oil like coating which is clear and helps to spread the stain eavenly.
It's called wood conditioner, sold by minwax.
Good luck.

CAUTION! Do NOT leave any rags with stain or finish on around. They will catch fire by themselves. soak in water and leave away from any structures (read the label)
<BR>

Wondering if anyone found that out the hard way? Why is it when fire goes up things burn down?

Hi..... i also have knotty pine wood panels in my kitchen and i want to paint them is there anyone who has painted the panels and that has some pix so that i can see what the end result will look like or my other option is to pull them out.... advise please anyone.....

Back