old bldg vs. metal bldg.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedsot

Reaction score
Well, I just got back from looking at the place I was hoping to be my future business and was informed that the place would probably cost $300,000+ to fix it up enough to make it a business:( . He told me that the roof alone would cost at least $25,000 to fix. The broker told me that if it was him, he would put a metal building on some land and make a business. Does anyone have any input on metal buildings? Especially being used for office/clinic area? What about insulation? It seems it would be very hot in the summer (being metal).

Nothing wrong wrong a properly designed metal structure.

For your use (office/clinic), you will have to dress up the exterior with something like brick/stone so it does not look like a typical cheap metal building. Do whatever to avoid the sloped roof which screams cheap and temporary!!! - Someday the building will be sold and that can have a big-time influence on the real value.

For insulation, they can be insulated well if you avoid the "thermal short circuits" that steel easily provides. Watch out for any conpression of fiberglass at columns/purlins. This can cut the R-value of the pink fluff by 50% to 75%. Rigid extruded foan over the steel frame or "wrinkled tin" studs is a good solution.

If it is a veternary clinic for horses and elephants, you may have to go with a sloped roof.

Dick

Dick, thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind while I'm looking for a location.

Take a look at http://www.miracletruss.com/

I have been looking at them for a possible workshop/garage if I ever get the Land I have been craving. As for insulation, there is a spray on Polyurathane foam insulation that can be applied to the walls and celing.

Downside to Metal buildings: (They are designed for storage) There is no attic, no ventalation, no easy means to run electical, HVAC or plumbing. If you plan on spending a lot of time in there, then you might want to look into something else.

Molson

Molson, Thanks for the information. I sent for a free information packet from the website you provided. I would possibly be spending 4-6 hours a day in the building a day with high energy children. I may end up finding an office that will work, I'm not in any hurry. Thanks for the reply.
Lori

Hi,
We are introducing a new idea in home building area i.e., Modular homes. The quality of modular housing is superior to conventional building. The modular process moves more quickly because the house is fully specified when ordered. The range of modular homes styles, quality of the modular homes, advantages of modular homes in the modern world and how long it take to build a modular homes? These all are general worries we clearly define via our site. We want to know about the popularity of the modular homes in new level of construction except than schools, homes, and churches?

With Regards,
http://www.sandcastlegroup.net

Modular houses have been around for quite awhile. They are really getting nice. Basically, houses are built in sections, placed on a foundation and, Viola! You have a house. The only giveaway, is when two modules meet along a bearing wall. They can be a foot thick.

Remember a modular house plant at Point of Rocks, MD.

After many inspections and installing a few....I have no opinion.:rolleyes: yea right......

Make sure you talk to someone who has lived in one of these homes for a year before you buy one.

Their opinions are gold.

Latest posts

Back