Old House Smell

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky123

Reaction score
I just bought an old house was built in 1927. I'm only visiting the house until I retire. I don't find the "old" smell offensive but I find my clothes have that smell. The house has no mold per the inspector. It has a bilge pump to remove any water under the house. I'm going to clean the walls and paint before I move in. Probably will refinish the original wood flooring upstairs also. When I'm not there, I leave all the cabinets and closets open and that has helped some. Any other suggestions?

I just bought an old house was built in 1927. I'm only visiting the house until I retire. I don't find the "old" smell offensive but I find my clothes have that smell. The house has no mold per the inspector. It has a bilge pump to remove any water under the house. I'm going to clean the walls and paint before I move in. Probably will refinish the original wood flooring upstairs also. When I'm not there, I leave all the cabinets and closets open and that has helped some. Any other suggestions?

A solution for any smell is an ozone generating air purifier. The ozone will react with the stink molecules and break them apart (oxidation) thus removing the stink rather than just masking it. If you use this type of machine, only run it when you are not in the house - otherwise you can get a sore throat or headache. It is safe however - the ozone quickly reacts and dissipates after the machine is turned off. Ozone is what gives us the clean smell after a thunderstorm - it is generated when electricity passes through air (and oxygen, O2) producing O3 (ozone).

Perhaps you could rent one.

Back