Old T1-11 needs replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclindad

Reaction score
We have vertical T1-11 siding on our 1972 home. I don't know if it's original or not, as we purchased home in 2007.

We have dry rot at the bottom and have been unable to find replacement siding the same width. Each panel is 10.5" wide with about a 2" wide recessed strip between, and all of the new stuff is 8" wide with about 1/2" recess between.

We saw someone's suggestion for trim board, since it's just the bottom but I think that would look ugly since the siding is vertical not horizontal. My husband has thought maybe taking the doors off of the shed and using them to replace the bad stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion where we can buy recycled product to match in Portland Oregon. We've checked several places but it's too hot to go running around looking right now.

I took pictures but cannot find the cable to download...sigh.:(

Just one of the many draw backs to T-111, if the building was built to close to the ground it's just going to rot out again.

How far up from the bottom is it rotted at the highest point on the wall?

Is the shed just sitting on concrete blocks, or is there a slab?

Is the outside corner trim also rotting?

It's not the shed that's rotted out. It is the south east corner of the front of the house. The shed is in the back on the north side and has the same T1-11 siding and about the same color. It is on a slab. My husband was thinking of taking the doors off of the shed since we cannot find anything to match and then just building new doors for the shed.

It's only rotted out a few inches from the bottom. The house sits on concrete foundation with crawl space. Yes, the outside trim also needs to be replaced.

Thank you for responding. Sorry I don't read my email every day.

If you can selvage the doors and make it work and put off the big job for a few years, I would go for it. BTW welcome to the site.

Thank you. I guess since we can't find any salvage in as good a condition as the shed doors that will have to do. I wish we had the money to do it right. We are both retired but both still working part time to keep the house until we can break even. Value is going up slowly but we'll never last long enough to get what we paid in 2007...just like everyone else. There is no 5 year plan anymore. It's okay. I love the house and we can still work.

Back