Old wall AC unit removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shingledon

Reaction score
Greetings all.

So I have an old AC unit that I want to take out, to put in a new one.
The old unit is non functioning, and not accessible to change the cap unless I pull it out anyway.
So I am going to just replace it.

The unit was caulked in with some blocks of wood to fill in the hole. I did contact a handyman, and he just wanted to cut it out
of the wall even before he saw any pics of it. This I don't exactly understand unless that's his way of making the job easier for him
regardless of whether it is necessary to chop into more of my cinder block wall.

The caulk is old and pretty set in, but I could pierce it fairly easily with my utility knife. I have seen some videos that make it look
fairly straightforward to remove old caulk.

If you take a look at the pics, the wedge/shim put in there doesn't look cut very well, but there is a solid seal with the caulking.
I expect I could find a unit that is roughly the same size as the existing hole. But if not, what would be advisable when taking this old hunk out. ?

If I can find a unit of similar size and caulk it back in that would the best easiest solution I suspect. If not, should I pull the old wedges out and cut
new ones to size? I haven't done a project like this before so I am admittedly pretty ignorant about the best way to proceed. I am a little concerned
about compromising the stability of the blocks around the hole while trying to change this out, and don't want to end up causing unexpected damage.

Thanks for your consideration on this task.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Welcome.
It appears that the hole was predetermined for the A/C and the 2x's were installed, and used, as an anchoring for the screws holding the case in the opening.

So, were I you, I would remove the unit from the case, remove the screws holding the case into the opening, remove the case, measure the opening and look for a unit that can be a close fit.

I would remove the unit from the case, remove the screws holding the case into the opening, remove the case, measure the opening and look for a unit that can be a close fit.

There was another A/C in there before that was replaced and was likely the original one that fit the hole exactly.
You bring up a good point I had not thought of, about the screws holding the case in. I will see if I can find a way
to do as you suggest.

I am not sure I can get the insides out of the case first , but it's a good idea if possible.
Do most A/C units allow detachment from the frame/case for easier removal ?

Thanks @Snoonyb

They are designed to be repaired/recharged, which requires removal.

That doesn't appear to be a through the wall sleeved A/C. Note that it has vents on the side (partially blocked by wall). Also the bottom pic looks like the bottom of the unit rather than a sleeve. I would measure the unit and look for similar sizes before removing anything.

It may be a slide out chassis sleeve;

Slide-Out Chassis Sleeves​

A slide-out chassis sleeve is a built-in sleeve that comes with the air conditioner and is characterized by louvers, or vents, on the back and sides of the sleeve. This means the air conditioner draws air from all four sides of the sleeve plus the back.

Slide-out chassis sleeves are a little difficult to replace because you must find the exact match. They are not interchangeable.
Through The Wall Air Conditioner Sleeve Sizes - HouseholdAir

Do most A/C units allow detachment from the frame/case for easier removal ?
Window A/Cs may have been installed as an entire unit at once... or the outside casing may have been mounted and then the guts slid in... first way is most common...

This means the air conditioner draws air from all four sides of the sleeve plus the back.
Usually AC draws in cool air from the sides and blows hot air out the rear... the hot air is heat removed from inside the building...

Back