Older Furnace Not Kicking In During Warmer But Still Cold Weather

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an older furnace in the basement of my house, dated 1996. This furnace heats the basement and first floor. There is a second, newer furnace that heats the second floor and attic. The older furnace seems to have a problem with not coming on when the outside weather warms up, but is still pretty chilly, say 35-40 degrees F outside. I've checked it out, and the inducer fan comes on and the igniter lights up, but but does not burst into flame with gas. It does this twice before not lighting up. I get a slight whiff of gas when it tries to start, but doesn't.

This has happened before, but as it got colder out, the furnace went back to operating like normal. I think I've been able to attach a picture.... Any questions and comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

Vince

Attachments

• Lower Furnace.jpg
    Lower Furnace.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 3
Hey Vince

Sounds like the furnace is doing all the right things in the right steps. The fact that it lights when real cold but not when it is warmer makes me think something about the gas is less flammable or lower pressure etc. Sometimes a marginal problem where it is right on the edge of working is hard to find.

Thanks Bud! Yes, analog thermostat is set at 75, but shows temp about 55. I plugged/unplugged/wiggled all electrical connections. Gas bill is paid up. That I get a whiff of gas when it tries to start, but doesn't has me wondering if there might be a problem with the gas valve assembly, if there is such a ceature?

Had what I believe is the same issue some years ago. Inducer would run, igniter would operate, but burner would not fire up. Bad gas valve.

DF, thanks for the response. I messed around with the furnace last night and wasn't able to get it running. Figured it had to be the gas valve, nothing else would be causing that problem. Any comments on where to source a replacement valve are appreciated. I'll check the big box stores first. Menard's, HD, etc are close but I'm not sure they carry these. If not, I'll go online.

Just curious of anyone on here knows of any reputable gas valve suppy houses that sell to individuals via internet?

Thanks!

Vince

Have you checked the voltage at the gas valve to see if the gas valve is getting the message to open? Gas valves do go bad but not often. Check to see if your pressure switch is closing etc. before you buy a gas valve.

Back