Only cold water in brand new washer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
About a month ago we bought a brand new Whirlrpool WTW5000DW3 washing machine. Even on the hot setting water that fills the washer is cold, not even warm. I disconnected and checked the infeed hoses: water that's coming out of the hot hose is indeed hot. Is the brand new machine really broken, or is there something else going on?
Thank you!

Some new washers have a screen cap that must be removed from where the supply lines connect. Verify that cap is removed.

The washer is running now so I'll check after it's done, but I checked the install instructions and they don't mention removing any caps. instr.png

On the pure hot setting I would think you wouldn’t get any water if the hot side weren’t passing water. If you had the hoses switched around it would fill with cold??

It is also possible your new washer has a bad hot water solenoid valve. Once you rule everything simple out you will have to call where you bought it and have them arrange a service call.

With most modern washers, cold and hot are still always mixed, so calling for hot would still allow some cold water to enter.

Whirlpool ended up replacing the main control board and now it's working. By that I mean hot water is flowing. You never know what else can be wrong in a brand new washer :(

For example, we noticed that it's been taking longer for clothes to dry in the dryer. It's about 15 years so it might be to blame, not the washer, but I am not sure the washer extracts water well enough when spinning.

Make sure the dryer vent is not full of lint, which will slow down the drying and also can catch fire.

You can buy a brush with a flexible rod system to clean it out, or just vacuum with the hose and change out any old leaky vent sections.

Whirlpool ended up replacing the main control board and now it's working. By that I mean hot water is flowing. You never know what else can be wrong in a brand new washer :(

For example, we noticed that it's been taking longer for clothes to dry in the dryer. It's about 15 years so it might be to blame, not the washer, but I am not sure the washer extracts water well enough when spinning.
I set my washer for a high spin, and my clothes are nearly dry when they hit the dryer.

I set my washer for a high spin, and my clothes are nearly dry when they hit the dryer.

I started doing it too. Unfortunately, this model does not allow adding extra spins to the cycles automatically, so I have to do it manually. A couple of times I set it to rinse and spin instead of drain and spin, which are next to each other on the dial, so then had to even more extra spinning :)

Back