Opinion on service charge

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overkill

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Heil 3 ton central ac unit. It was installed when my house was built (2006).
The compressor took a crap. I had a guy come look at my system and said the compressor needs replaced.
Anyway, before determining it was the compressor,he installed a hard start kit.
He can install a new compressor,and fill Freon. He says its about $30 a pound.
Everything for $1200.00 total.
Does this sound right? Am I getting a good deal?

Thanks for your opinion.

R-22 freon has skyrocketed in price due to it being phased out, $30/lb. isn't a bad price.
To retrofit your system to accept the newer freon would cost just about as much as a whole new system.
$1200 doesn't seem to far off the mark but, as with anything else that is a big ticket item, always get 3 quotes.

Thats sounds about right to me. As stated by kok328, the price of R22 has gone way up due to it being phased out. The other option would be to take this oppurtunity to update your system to a R410A compatible one so down the road you will be ahead of the game. Eventually if you want a/c you will have to take this route anyway, though that may be 10 years down the road. Get another 1-2 quotes if you feel the price isn't right. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Back