Options for warm air ducting up a wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68bucks

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing a forced air outdoor wood burner in my shop. I don't have a lot of options where I put the supply and return so they will only be about 8 feet apart. I'm just running the supply and return through the wall, not going to try and mess with multiple outlets or anything, just a simple system to heat the shop. One thought I had was to put an extra opening up high on the wall in each location so I could send a little heat up higher or maybe pull a little return from above. Just some options to move the heat a little better. So my question is what is the prefered and proper way to run duct up the wall to another outlet/inlet? It's a 2x6 wall cavity, I haven't run across a duct that fills that space. My thought was to just line those two spaces with metal. Is there a better or easier way? The heater has a 10" supply and a 12" return. I plan to just run both in 12" though the wall. I know the wall space isn't equal in area so I could never move all the air through the upper opening, it would just be a portion of the air. Any thought or suggestions?

You need to move all the air, not just a portion. If you restrict the airflow too much then you risk damage to the heat exchanger.

You could use 6” oval pipes to run up the wall cavity. When run on an outside wall you would need to add a layer of high density foam board in that wall cavity for insulation purposes.

If it’s only for heating, and it’s an open shop then you could blow higher velocity air down at people and reclaim the cold air from ground level. It’s hard to suggest a good design without a lot more details.

If it’s a tall shop then a ceiling fan would be a good idea also. All that heat will want to stay at the top.

It's a 12' ceiling but I will have 2 ceiling fans to move the heat down. I didn't really think about insulating those wall cavities. I'm not too concerned about super efficiency since the shop won't be heated 100% of the time. All the rest of the walls are insulated with R19 so I figured not insulating 2 cavities wouldn't be a big deal. I figured if I metal lined the spaces that would give me the maximum air flow I could get vs an oval duct. I know I won't be able to move all the air through that space, some will need to come out down low while I could direct some of from higher up the wall.

Latest posts

Back