Outdoor laptop computer?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumatra723

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the best forum to post this, but I figure it's the closest I can do.

I have a laptop computer that will be turned on 24/7 on the roof of my building (I won't go into the why). Anyone know the best approach to shield this laptop from the elements? (ie, rain and heat). I live in los Angeles so it doesn't rain that much, although I'm concerned the summer heat might cook the laptop.

Any ideas? I'm thinking about putting it in a cooler of some sort, but I'm not sure if there's enough ventilation. I'm also concerned about rain.

You love that laptop..

get a room.

Ha-ha. Seriously, you aren't going to be able to control the climate in a cooler or other small container. The big commercial buildings with roof-top HVAC units that need constant attention, have a control room somewhere above or below the roof. I did a contract for a hospital 13 years ago. Even then, part of my contract covered insulating and finishing these rooms. One above the roof and one on the ground floor. The PC at the ground floor controlled the units. The PC at the top was a service technicians over-ride. The above-the-roof room had it's own HVAC unit. It looked like a window AC unit. I suspect that you will be disappointed if you try to contain it in something small.

Back