Outdoor lights don't play well with LEDs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ293

Reaction score
I have several of these outdoor lights that currently have incandescent bulbs and work fine. The lights are a combo of motion detection and have some sort of dusk to dawn setting as well. One of the settings is also 'on all the time.'

My end goal is to have dusk to dawn LEDs bulbs so I can just leave the switch on 24/7 (no motion detection). I initially put in dusk to dawn bulbs but couldn't get the lights to work. They flashed a bit, flickered and went off. They would come on sporadically for a few flickers but couldnt stay on.

I then tried just normal 100w replacement LED bulbs and pretty much had the same scenario. I played with all the variations of the switches but had no luck.

Any thoughts as to why the LED bulbs aren't working well with these fixtures? Thanks

OL1.jpg
OL2.jpg
OL3.jpg

I read that the constant low current through CDS light sensors can damage LED electronics.

To rule out cold temps with outdoor LED light bulbs, I replaced both my fridge lights with LEDs and they have been working great. Boy can I find stuff in the fridge now.

Sounds like new exterior light fixtures will be added to the never ending to-do list. Appreciate it.

Sounds like new exterior light fixtures will be added to the never ending to-do list. Appreciate it.
You might just bypass the sensors and use dusk to dawn LEDs.

I originally tried those but had the same flickering issues.
I'm suggesting rewiring the fixture, did you try that?

edit: I just recalled that lights with sensors in their base often won't work in a fixture due to reflection of their own light.

Last edited:
I'm suggesting rewiring the fixture, did you try that?
Ah, I misunderstood. No I haven't. I'll try and do some reading on that, I'm not the most knowledge about electrical so don't want to dive into anything that isn't pretty straightforward.

Thanks

If all you want is night light, and everything else fails, you can consider just installing a timer on the inside that turns on and off at set times. They make them so that they fit right in the same box as the inside switch. The downside is that the twilight times change throughout the year...

If you did decide on having motion sensing, note that they make LED bulbs (same standard A size) with built-in motion sensors. I have one in my basement.

If all you want is night light, and everything else fails, you can consider just installing a timer on the inside that turns on and off at set times.

@DJ293 If it's dusk to dawn or dusk to midnight or anything in between one of the new(er) wi-fi switches would solve the problem. I have several of these (Kasa Smart Dimmer Switch HS220, Single Pole) that are grouped together. They all come on at dusk (or a predetermined interval before or after) and can be set to go off at dawn and or anytime before or after.

Your only caveat would be if that switch controls something else in conjunction with the light...

Lotsa good suggestions here. I would just replace the bulbs with standard incandescent bulbs until the weather warms up a bit. Shouldn't be more than a few months, and then you won't be in a hurry to decide what to do.

"Never do today that which can be put off 'til tommorow!"

Back