Outdoor power distribution box to outbuildings

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nap737

Reaction score
We bought a property last summer that has power to a couple outbuildings supplied by direct-buried wire. Even though it's all 4-wire cable (including ground), the neutral and ground are tied together on all the subpanels -- something I'm working to correct panel by panel to separate.

On one run to a shed, there's a junction box hanging on a post in the ground that serves as a shutoff. It's a bit of a mess (see picture) so I'd like to replace and correct the neutral/ground bonding here as well.

What would this box be called when I'm shopping for the parts? Should it be grounded to a ground rod? Should there be a breaker or fuse in something like this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_195624668.jpg
    PXL_20210404_195624668.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
This is not a junction box it is called a "non-fused disconnect" <---link to it

The specific disconnect in the picture is what this is. However, I don't know what rating you need and I don't know what the setup is like to tell you if this is the proper rated disconnect to use for your application. I am just going by the picture.

This is not the exact same one you are showing in your picture but it is still a non-fused disconnect just a different brand/model. Again, I don't know the rating of yours and I don't know what the rating of it should be.

1617610617281.png

Last edited:
Back