Outdoor power outlet

Help Support House Repair Talk:

daniel600x

Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if in states where metal conduit is required, when installing outdoor power outlet through wall from an existing indoor power outlet, the flexible metal conduit is required going through the wall or just the grey Romex cable is enough?? If remex cable is enough, can the plastic box be used or metal box must be used as well?? Thanks

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
I first switch the inside box over to a GFCI outlet then you need to decide will the new box be mounted to the house or will it be inset thru the siding and be housed inside the wall cavity. If outside I then us a sealed box for outside service with a cover that keeps the weather away from the outlet. These boxes have plugs for the holes not used and feet to screw it to the house. I use a nipple as mentioned above screwing into the hole on the back and drill a hole in the same stud bay but offset to the one inside. I fish a romex over from the inside box and out the hole that is drilled close to the nipple size. I use some rubber putty around the hole and push the box in and screw it off. Connecting inside to the load terminals and outside as normal. If the outside is vinyl siding I will sometimes use a vinyl plate that trims out the box.

If insetting the box then it depends on the wall construction type of outside surface/siding etc.

The GFCI can be the outside outlet in the covered box, but I always like the electronics inside the house where the climate is controlled. It is inconvenient when you get a trip so that you have to decide. Most of mine are next to a door so it is not an issue. If the room is a bedroom or behind furniture in a living room then maybe the other way is better.

I just use romex.

I’m not a pro electrician so take my suggestions as such.

daniel600x

Reaction score
I first switch the inside box over to a GFCI outlet then you need to decide will the new box be mounted to the house or will it be inset thru the siding and be housed inside the wall cavity. If outside I then us a sealed box for outside service with a cover that keeps the weather away from the outlet. These boxes have plugs for the holes not used and feet to screw it to the house. I use a nipple as mentioned above screwing into the hole on the back and drill a hole in the same stud bay but offset to the one inside. I fish a romex over from the inside box and out the hole that is drilled close to the nipple size. I use some rubber putty around the hole and push the box in and screw it off. Connecting inside to the load terminals and outside as normal. If the outside is vinyl siding I will sometimes use a vinyl plate that trims out the box.

If insetting the box then it depends on the wall construction type of outside surface/siding etc.

The GFCI can be the outside outlet in the covered box, but I always like the electronics inside the house where the climate is controlled. It is inconvenient when you get a trip so that you have to decide. Most of mine are next to a door so it is not an issue. If the room is a bedroom or behind furniture in a living room then maybe the other way is better.

I just use romex.

I’m not a pro electrician so take my suggestions as such.
Thank you soo much for this explanation. I plan to do this any day now and you made it easier. Thanks

raymond-

Reaction score
I did my outdoor new circuit nearly identical to the technique outlined by bub16415. The outside box is surface mounted to the brick exterior as I did not have masonry cutting tools. I figured I'd live with it to see if it bothers me bad enough, in which case I would flush mount it later. I bought about 8 oz of putty only to realize that it was similar to the butyl rubber I already had for automotive use. lah dee dah.

Indoors is an unfinished basement so it was pretty easy to drill through the floor joists with a right angle drill and snake the romex over to the service panel and into a new breaker.
002.jpg001.jpg

raymond-

Reaction score
Not working so I have time to scan the free items on Craigslist, Nextdoor, Freecycle...etc. I'm in
Seattle and it's amazing the things people discard which still have great resale value. I learned
to watch ... even have notifications sent to my email/phone.

Sparky617

Reaction score
That depends heavily on the town you're in. Seattle area has nearly 20k members and higher income bracket
Our area a higher end market as well with a population in the greater metro area of over 2M. To find good stuff you need to kind of religiously watch the notifications and subscribe to get postings as they go up. If you wait for the summary the good stuff is usually gone. The instant notifications can overwhelm your inbox. I'm not in an acquire stuff mode these days, so I'll use it to get rid of stuff, but find Facebook market place reaches a wider audience, faster.

Latest posts