Outside porch light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sf49168

Reaction score
Just want to show what I found for my outside light. House built 1959, I bought about 8 years ago.

This should be fun to inspect. Hopefully able to re-run new wire

Thanks !

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

Just want to show what I found for my outside light. House built 1959, I bought about 8 years ago.

Thanks !

What is/are your question/s specifically may I ask?

Just tried out some battery-operated, Mr. Beams spotlights. 80 lumen. Some get up to 150.

If the wires get you down, I would recommend those :)

I'm confused as to what the problem here is? There's a Hot, a Neutral, and a Ground... the trifecta of everything electrical. Are you asking about the box? Is water getting in behind the siding?

The wire in the box is old, sure, but it looks fine. What is the problem?

He's not exactly a frequent poster. His last posts before this one were in 2015. It will be interesting to find out what his issue is, we sure can't tell by the photo or his comments.

I wonder if the paint overspray on the wires confused the OP since they both look white?

Thanks !
It would appear from the photographs that the front of the box is completely back behind combustible Styrofoam (tm) insulation. The installation, as it is, is not complaint with the last ten additions of the National Electric Code. Boxes have not been allowed to be that far back behind the surface of the finished wall for my 50 Years in the craft.

The installation could use a siding adapter plate with an integrated electrical box. With that change the whole installation would also be pretty watertight and bug tight.

Back