Over the Counter Hearing Aid Proposal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Oct 19, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a landmark proposal intended to improve access to and reduce the cost of hearing aid technology for millions of Americans. This is a great move as a few hearing aid companies and their minions have been charging prices for hearing aids comparable to rather high end stereo systems. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...ess-hearing-aid-technology-millions-americans

Eyeglasses are another ripoff being more expensive than precision optics or cameras. I beat the eyeglass system by purchasing a $100 trial lens kit, determining/writing my own prescription and ordering from Zenni Optical.

TV voices sound muffled because of the loss of the high [above 1500 Hz] frequencies.
Our cheap TV doesn't have a way to modify the audio, so for $30 online I got a 25w stereo amp that has separate bass & treble boost & hooked it to our existing wall speakers.
Tweak one up and the other down until the voices sound like hissing and then back off slightly.

But some people have "reverse slope" hearing loss. Ay, yi, yi. . .

Forgot to mention: I have it on good authority that people either placate, blame, distract, talk like a lawyer or actually level with you.

Seems like here they are both placating & blaming but no Guv is interested in diverting the income streams of large orgs into the pockets of the little people. :(

Apparently as approved the devices are for "mild to moderate" hearing impairment and prescription devices are still the route for special needs.

Now if we could get a similar ruling for basic eyeglasses.

Well, when standing at the counter and you aren't clear about what's being said,

just lean further over the counter.

Back