Over the range microwave

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My over the range microwave is toast, and I need a new one. I'm considering the Whirlpool YWMH31017HS. Thoughts? My last one didn't vent very well at all, and my duct work is all good to the roof. Just seemed to have almost no suction for sucking up steam etc from the range below.

Over the range combination MV/vent are notoriously under performers, by virtue of their components, and few will sustain a 300cfm manifold.

Not much air flow, but plenty of noise, right ? My old Panasonic modulating MW was same.

As Snoonnb suggested, I think that's the nature of over-range venting microwaves.

Plus, rather than typing in the time setting, you would 'scroll up" to set the cook time. Invariably, I would over-shoot. Then "scroll down" --- maybe over shoot in the other direction..... etc etc. Didn't like that system.

Also affecting the efficiency is the size of the venting.

I use 7" round, galv.

I think the OP wants to know if the microwave he/she is considering is a good one or not. I'm trying to load reviews and such but my internet is not cooperating.

Ok, looks like it has a 220cfm recirculating vent but can be converted to vented and is 900watts. Personally, I prefer 1k watts and over, but that's me. Not a big fan of some Whirlpool appliances. I've heard KitchenAid lasts longer and has better support. It does seem to have positive reviews and has 180day return policy at HD but most recent reviews there seem to be negative-- stating sudden failure. Looks like a decent model but I don't know. Don't have a great feeling about that one for some reason.

If you had the space, I'd consider getting a regular range hood and a countertop microwave- but that's my preference.

I'd still shop around and find other options. Wish I could be of more help. I can look more thoroughly when my sinus infection clears and my brain is working better.

What features are you looking for in your microwave?

Latest posts

Back