P-trap for a shower needed?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumz

Reaction score
We remodeled 4 years ago and put in walk-in shower. The floor drain operates by water weight, a plate in the drain that keeps gases out simply lowers when a certain amount of water gets on top of it and it is fine, spring loaded and fool proof. The problem we are having is something is not vented correctly because an air pocket develops under the drain which doesn't allow it to open and drain. I have to lift the the cover and pull put the drain and then it burps a couple times and the drain works and I can return the drain and the cover. I do not have a drainage problem anywhere else in the house. It drains to my septic system by gravity and the shower goes from 2" into the 4" w/sweep (or maybe it's 1.5 into 3, I forget but it was done by a licensed plumber that's done good work for me over the years).
So my thought was because I have a crawlspace under the shower that maybe removing the glued in P-trap would solve my shower problem though the air pocket issue might still be there, I don't know. I have not been able to isolate what might be creating the air pocket. It is something that has just started happening too and I have not done anything to any other plumbing. I have a well and recently put in a new soft water system replacing an old and that is the only thing I've done but it's outside in the pump house so not sure what the deal is.
TIA for your time!

Attachments

• 20210710_140238.jpg
    20210710_140238.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210710_140300.jpg
    20210710_140300.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 22
Sound like you may have some calcium build up, so, were it mine, I'd try some CLR.

Sound like you may have some calcium build up, so, were it mine, I'd try some CLR.
Which sink would I dump it down, all of them? And it's safe for septic?

I have no experience with these but suspect stiction in the flap mechanism rather than an air lock.

Is it this one?
31ktTAaNWRL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
So, if you are under the impression that CLR's only application is sink drains, I suggest you brush-up on the container instructions=, C, calcium, L, lime, R, rust.
Poor some in the drain and work the mechanism. Sometimes it needs to soak, a bit. Then rinse.

I have no experience with these but suspect stiction in the flap mechanism rather than an air lock.

Is it this one?
31ktTAaNWRL._AC_.jpg
It is like that but much simpler.
But no, I pull that unit out and it doesn't drain for a bit and then starts to bubble and then drains. I have also stuck something down to force it open and it still needs to be removed. That was my first thought too.

So, if you are under the impression that CLR's only application is sink drains, I suggest you brush-up on the container instructions=, C, calcium, L, lime, R, rust.
Poor some in the drain and work the mechanism. Sometimes it needs to soak, a bit. Then rinse.
Nothing is gunked up though. We clean the bathroom weekly. We have no traces of lime. If anything, we have an iron problem that I use iron soft water salt that helps with that.

A few questions… did this shower replace an existing tub or previous shower? Or is it a new addition? Did the drain ever work properly or was it like this when it was first installed?

A few questions… did this shower replace an existing tub or previous shower? Or is it a new addition? Did the drain ever work properly or was it like this when it was first installed?
There was a tub there but the plumbing is all new, supple and waste. It has been fine, starting to suspect the drain itself.
Thanks!

are these things legal?
I think some municipalities require them in apartment buildings to eliminate the possibility or your upstairs neighbor's sewage backing up into your drain. Or they can be used as dry traps.

Was the tub drain 1 1/2" or 2" . My area tub drains are 1 1/2" and showers are 2". Depending on how far the run is it may be building up back pressure because the vent is not close enough.

Are you able to access the area with the P-trap to get pictures? It's entirely possible that the trap arm is not run properly or that there is no proper vent. It's also possible that the wrong size pipes may have been used.

Was the tub drain 1 1/2" or 2" . My area tub drains are 1 1/2" and showers are 2". Depending on how far the run is it may be building up back pressure because the vent is not close enough.
Yes to the back pressure20210710_142555.jpg, and it is 2".
That's why I thought removing the trap (in the center of the pic and the only one) and replacing with a sweep would work better but then I see a long type p-trap when I look at diagrams of the HANEBATH 28-Inch Linear Shower Drain with Tile Insert Grate, Brushed Stainless. When I removed the drain mechanism bought in 2017 through Amazon (what they show now has a different drain mechanism, mine is all stainless and what I see now are plastic). So I might also see about getting a new drain, maybe they're improved.

Can you circle where the shower's drain is in that picture? I'm not sure which pipe is it. LOL. I have an idea, but am not certain.

Can you circle where the shower's drain is in that picture? I'm not sure which pipe is it. LOL. I have an idea, but am not certain.
Sorry about the crappy image

Attachments

• 20210710_142555.jpg
    20210710_142555.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 15
Back