P-trap for a shower needed?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried removing the backflow device and cleaning the P-trap with a brush similar to the pic? I am wondering if the drain is partially blocked such that there's not enough flow. I'm just guessing, plumbing can be very frustrating.

51Bn5pycYkL._AC_SL1143_.jpg

The point is that some things that they sell are not legal for a reason. They fail/malfunction or cause problems. They still sell S-trap kits but they allow the water to be siphoned out of the P-trap which allows sewer gases up.

It looks like you've got a standard trap. Can't see where the trap arm goes though. I hope it goes to a vent within the proper range.

What exactly is the point of the mechanical device that opens and closes the drain?

The p trap keeps gases out.

What does that device do that helps anything?

Are you part of the drain police ;)
What's your point?
there are reasons for things not to be approved , I can just see trouble if you install this devise. Yes i was a plumbing inspector for 15 years after 30 years in the trade. But if you know better go ahead.

there are reasons for things not to be approved , I can just see trouble if you install this devise. Yes i was a plumbing inspector for 15 years after 30 years in the trade. But if you know better go ahead.
It would be helpful if you would cite the code the device violates.

I’d take the device out and put a screen in there to catch hair and see if it works better.
We tried that and could smell the gasses from the septic. It seems to be an air pocket being created somewhere, something is not vented correctly. So the solution since it doesn't happen everytime we shower is to pull the drain thingy and it all "flushes" down and is fine after that.

It's not a mistake that such a large portion of plumbing code is devoted to vent lines. They not only aid in allowing water to drain but they must be constructed in a manner that prevents a "Siphon" from being created that sucks the water out of the trap. It seems that is what is happening to your system.
1628089701375.png
The max distance from the trap to the vent is 3.5' for 1 1/2" drain when a 1/4" drop per foot is used. There are about 8 ways a siphon can be created. This is just one way.

Last edited:
Back