paint ext house questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmars

Reaction score
I'm about to paint my home.

I've painted interior a few dozen times, but never ext.

house ext was last painted prior to 1993 and still looks fine, although faded. I dont remember what prep work was done or what type of paint used. Just that it lasted.

I want this next job to last as long if possible. Please dont tell me it wont, because that really dont matter. What matters is a job that lasts as long as possible.

Cinder block walls. Paint chipping in just a few places on corners and edges

I have a 2700 PSI pressure washer B&S model 020501 Rev 00. Engine is great shape. Just got a new pump, gun and wand, and oring kit. Ive watched enough videos that I think Im up on pressure washing the house. I will spray walls with vinegar and dish soap before pressure washing.

Walls have no visable dirt or mold/mildew.

west central florida. 4 miles from west, south-south-west, and east beaches. Lower tip of pinellas county.

What type of paint should I use? What are the best brands for block? Do I need to prime separately or are those all in one paints good? I'm going with the same color and hope to just need to apply one thickesh layer with paint roller. That is how I do interior walls. My only experience is in my own home where Ive lived for 35 years and the rental apartment in the back which needs more frequent interior painting. While im not rich and paint cost is a factor, I do want this to last as long as possible and I'd rather spend more now, then have to repaint sooner.

two images. these flaws are few and far between:

thanks,
pa

I'd recommend going to a Porter Paint PPG or Sherwin-Williams store. Show them your pics, ask what's best for your application. Getting paints directly from the paint store gets you better quality paints that will last longer. Big box stores spec price points not quality of product.

Remember clean, dull, dry when painting. Going over loose or peeling surfaces will fail fast. Prep is key for long lasting paint jobs.

I second the Sherwin-Williams. That paint just lasts. It costs more but if you want it to last don't go to a big box for exterior paint.
When you go to asks questions don't go in the morning. They'll be busy with the pro painters and won't have time for a long discussion.

Sherwin-Williams says to use Loxon® XPWaterproofing Masonry Coating-Flat

Sherwin-Williams says to use Loxon® XPWaterproofing Masonry Coating-Flat
You may spend a little more on the front end, but you get better quality materials from their store and you won't have to paint as often with proper prep.

"Best" depends on the specific situation. Overall, I am a big fan of Dap's Alex Fast Dry. It is paintable in 20 minutes and -best of all - you can sand it. The container doesn't say that but works really well.

Back