paint on leather

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailor86

Reaction score
We've got virtually a brand new tan leather recliner and I managed to get a couple of smears of oil-based paint on it. What would you recommend to clean it up without defacing the sofa?

vegetable oil.

i would suggest that, due to leather is "practically" skin anyways, and its suggested to use vegetable oil to remove oil based paint off your skin.

unless you want to start slathering your leather with mineral spirits :EEK

Did not know that, Chaluska. Let you know how it turns out.

Did not know that, Chaluska. Let you know how it turns out.

Yeah, ive messed around with rustoleum oil based paint, and read to use veggie oil to remove excess.. worked on my skin..

Used Canola oil cause it was available. Worked like a charm.

I would say soap and warm water. But apparently from what others are saying canola oil works? interesting...

Awesome, sailor - I'll keep that in mind (have a leather couch that needs some serious cleaning)

I had the exact same thing happen to me. We were paint our family room with an oil based paint and we allowed our teenagers to help (probably not the best idea I ever had) and needless to say we ended up with bright red splatters all over one end of our leather sofa. After several calls I ended up finding a Boston house cleaning company to come out and remove the paint with canola oil ($75 later). The boys didn't get an allowance for several weeks.

Latest posts

Back