Paint peeling

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by rt520, Feb 20, 2016.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1

rt520

rt520

rt520

My entire house has popcorn ceiling texture(asbestos free). I've taken on the job of scraping the ceilings and figured while I was at it I would skim coat the walls to cover up 30 years of holes and dents. When I started removing the painted molding around the windows the paint started peeling off in large pieces. It keeps coming off. I think I know the answer to my question but Ill ask anyways. Do I need to peel off all the paint possible before I skim coat the walls? It seems as if I will end up peeling off all the paint in the room. Thanks

2. Feb 20, 2016 #2

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

If your guess is water based over oil based, that would be my guess as well.

So, were it I, I would attempt to remove all of the paint, prime with a transitional primer before skim coating.

3. Feb 20, 2016 #3

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

You have to work the peel back to a point where you have good adhesion. i use a standard putty knife, and pick up any loose edges. Eventually (hopefully!) you reach a point where the edge doesn't come up, then you start spackling.

4. Feb 20, 2016 #4

rt520

rt520

rt520

It's peeling all the way to the dry wall, looks like 3 layers of different paint. I've found a couple places where it stopped peeling but for the most part it's all coming off a couple inches at a time.

5. Feb 20, 2016 #5

chrisn

chrisn

chrisn

You are going to have to get off all the loose stuff, no other way around it.:(