Paint peeling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt520

Reaction score
My entire house has popcorn ceiling texture(asbestos free). I've taken on the job of scraping the ceilings and figured while I was at it I would skim coat the walls to cover up 30 years of holes and dents. When I started removing the painted molding around the windows the paint started peeling off in large pieces. It keeps coming off. I think I know the answer to my question but Ill ask anyways. Do I need to peel off all the paint possible before I skim coat the walls? It seems as if I will end up peeling off all the paint in the room. Thanks

My entire house has popcorn ceiling texture(asbestos free). I've taken on the job of scraping the ceilings and figured while I was at it I would skim coat the walls to cover up 30 years of holes and dents. When I started removing the painted molding around the windows the paint started peeling off in large pieces. It keeps coming off. I think I know the answer to my question but Ill ask anyways. Do I need to peel off all the paint possible before I skim coat the walls? It seems as if I will end up peeling off all the paint in the room. Thanks

If your guess is water based over oil based, that would be my guess as well.

So, were it I, I would attempt to remove all of the paint, prime with a transitional primer before skim coating.

You have to work the peel back to a point where you have good adhesion. i use a standard putty knife, and pick up any loose edges. Eventually (hopefully!) you reach a point where the edge doesn't come up, then you start spackling.

It's peeling all the way to the dry wall, looks like 3 layers of different paint. I've found a couple places where it stopped peeling but for the most part it's all coming off a couple inches at a time.

You are going to have to get off all the loose stuff, no other way around it.:(

Back