Paint selection help

Discussion in 'Decorating and Design' started by oxicottin, May 29, 2008.

1. May 29, 2008 #1

oxicottin

oxicottin

oxicottin

Hello, I just had someone fix the cracks in my plaster walls and a few holes also, I had them tear down the old plaster ceilings and hang up drywall. Now I need to prime and paint and needed help on selecting a brand and do I apply the same primer to the spots that was fixed on my plaster walls as the drywall ceilings or do I use two diferent things? I would like to apply the primer over the entire wall if possible.

Thanks!
    Chad

2. May 29, 2008 #2

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

Put primer where you will paint over. This keeps the color the same. I always use a stain blocker paint such as Zinnsinger or Kilz. The water based will do fine for interior walls.
    Happy painting.:D

3. May 29, 2008 #3

handyguys

handyguys

handyguys

I only use stain blocking primers when I have trouble spots. Personally I have had pretty good results with various brands of PVA Drywall primer. Sherwin Williams has one, it has a 200 in the name if I remember correctly. Have used stuff from Home Depot that didn't have Behr in the name that was fine. Have also used PVA primer from Benjamin Moore.

As for finish paint - Use the best paint you can afford. Benjamin Moore is tops for sure. Behr is junk (from personal experience and TONS of feedback from pros and non-pros)

4. May 29, 2008 #4

oxicottin

oxicottin

oxicottin

I want to primer all the walls and ceilings so would I use a drywall primer like kilz. I have several spots that was fixed with drywall compound on the plaster so will it be ok to cover the entire wall instead of just spots? Thanks!

5. May 29, 2008 #5

handyguys

handyguys

handyguys

Yes - Kilz, BIN or other Shellac based primer or a PVA primer like I recommended will be fine for covering old and new.