Paint spray recommendations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrflat

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations on paint sprayers? I am planning on using this for painting cabinets and trim. I would like something that does not have lots of overspray so I can keep things clean. I have been looking at the Fuji Spray Semi-Pro 2 HVLP system and am curious of others thoughts.
Thanks
John

I have never used a stand-alone unit for spraying as I have several air compressors that I use for multi uses and I have several different guns, mostly Devilbiss.

Air delivery is more likely to have over spray IMO. The Fuji puts out about 5PSI from their specs so it is a compressor of some kind and regulated down.

I belong to another forum related to Home Theater and the guys there paint projection screens and they speak highly of the Wagner airless sprayers. Not sure of the model they recommend. I know they want a gun that can spray latex paints inside finished rooms and need perfectly flat results. They do mask the rooms quite a bit but they also are concerned with over spray. I believe the units they use are under 100 bucks.

I would likely remove them to paint and do it out in my garage shop.

Wish I could be more help. Others will be along.

I first bought a Graco Ultra airless handheld. It works but is difficult to set up properly and has lots of nozzles/consumables to purchase.
When I used it to spray water-based urethane (very thin - low viscosity) the overspray was massive. Massive.

So I purchased a Fuji Mini-Mite 5 (because I am currently doing mostly spraying of thin finishes, and the airless was just unworkable for them). The Fuji HVLP is significantly easier to set up and clean than the airless. And fewer consumables to purchase. However, I did bite the bullet and buy the 1.0 and 1.8mm nozzles with the original purchase, and with the 1.4mm nozzle it comes with, that should handle anything I might want to spray. I got the G-XPC gun because it is smaller and more manoeuvrable for painting insides of cabinets. The handheld airless was just physically too big to properly do the insides of smaller cabinets. I was worried that the small reservoir would need frequent re-filling, but that is not the case, because the Fuji has far, far less overspray than the airless (on thin finishes), and I have far fewer fill-ups.

So, in general, I tend to agree with your selection of the Fuji. But I am not sure the two stage has enough pressure if you are spraying paint. I think you would be better off with a 4 (or more) stage. I have not sprayed paint with my Fuji yet, but I normally use good quality high-solids paint and know I would have to thin them out quite a bit to spray it in a HVLP with only 2 stage turbine.

I first bought a Graco Ultra airless handheld. It works but is difficult to set up properly and has lots of nozzles/consumables to purchase.
When I used it to spray water-based urethane (very thin - low viscosity) the overspray was massive. Massive.

So I purchased a Fuji Mini-Mite 5 (because I am currently doing mostly spraying of thin finishes, and the airless was just unworkable for them). The Fuji HVLP is significantly easier to set up and clean than the airless. And fewer consumables to purchase. However, I did bite the bullet and buy the 1.0 and 1.8mm nozzles with the original purchase, and with the 1.4mm nozzle it comes with, that should handle anything I might want to spray. I got the G-XPC gun because it is smaller and more manoeuvrable for painting insides of cabinets. The handheld airless was just physically too big to properly do the insides of smaller cabinets. I was worried that the small reservoir would need frequent re-filling, but that is not the case, because the Fuji has far, far less overspray than the airless (on thin finishes), and I have far fewer fill-ups.

So, in general, I tend to agree with your selection of the Fuji. But I am not sure the two stage has enough pressure if you are spraying paint. I think you would be better off with a 4 (or more) stage. I have not sprayed paint with my Fuji yet, but I normally use good quality high-solids paint and know I would have to thin them out quite a bit to spray it in a HVLP with only 2 stage turbine.
Thanks for the input. I am glad to hear you are happy with your Fuji system. I will be using this unit to mostly spray paint so the ability to do that without thinning the paint is important to me. I was under the impression that the 2 stage would work for this as long as I had the right nozzle. I will have to do some more research on that.

You will likely find varying opinions on which Fuji to use for paint. But my go-to paint is Benjamin Moore Aura, which is their high end high solids paint, so I figured I was best to be on the conservative side, which, for my conclusion anyways, was a 4 stage. But from there, its only a short step to "what the heck, just a few more dollars, might as well go to the 5 stage". However, could not bring myself to jump to quiet version. As I recall, the Quiet version 5 stage also has a speed control knob (rather than a throttle on the air line). Would have been nice, but the price jump was just too much.

Back