Paint too brown!

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by Staci_25, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1

Staci_25

Staci_25

Staci_25

So ya'll know my husband and I are remodeling a 1950s apt... well, I chose (what I thought was) a deep burgandy/brick red color and now that its on the walls it appears a dark brown! What can I do to lighten it and add the red tint I was looking for? I've considered a glaze or even a wall stencil.... this is the color... Olympic Granite D17-5

2. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    I don't know but that's terrible. Sorry to hear it.

3. Nov 11, 2009 #3

Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Emperor Penguin

The difference COULD be due to the lighting conditions you saw the swatch under and the lighting in your apartment. Does the swatch of Olympic Granite D17-5 look the right colour in your apartment, or does it also look dark brown?

4. Nov 12, 2009 #4

Staci_25

Staci_25

Staci_25

it looks right, i made sure to look at it IN the apt before I bought it for that specific reason

5. Nov 12, 2009 #5

Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Emperor Penguin

OK, can you then place the swatch over your actual paint to see if you can detect any difference in colour? It could be a mistint.

C2 Paints provides 12 inch by 16 inch swatches of their paint colours. I think that's a good idea because it allows you to see what your colour scheme will look like when MOST of what you see will be the wall colour, and not the colour of the trim. When you only have small swatches to go by, you can't really see what things will look like when one of those colours dominates your field of view.

6. Nov 12, 2009 #6

Staci_25

Staci_25

Staci_25

the swatch has a bit more pink- even if it is a mistint, i have no desire to repaint 2 coats of color on 3.5 walls....

7. Nov 12, 2009 #7

Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Nestor_Kelebay

Emperor Penguin

If you can see a difference in the colour of the paint and the colour of the swatch, then it's a mistint. You could probably get a partial (at least) refund on the paint if you bring the problem to the attention of the place you bought the paint.

It's not possible to change the colour of the paint that's already been applied to your walls.

8. Nov 13, 2009 #8

ahmed ragab

ahmed ragab

ahmed ragab

I love drawing

9. Nov 13, 2009 #9

Stoggs

Stoggs

Stoggs

The best thing to do when selecting a paint color for a room, is to buy a sample of the color, and put it up in the room. The colors on paint color chips can vary, and colors will appear different in different lighting conditions.

10. Nov 16, 2009 #10

Staci_25

Staci_25

Staci_25

i wish i was more artistic... i'd slap a few scrolls up on the wall with a lighter color and call it quits! haha

11. Feb 4, 2010 #11

lightingking

lightingking

lightingking

I agree with Stoggs...you can drastically change the "appearance" of the color in a room just by choosing different types of lighting AND different types of bulbs (ie: cool, warm, fluorescent, ect.)

Color chips are just the beginning.

12. Feb 5, 2010 #12

harryb

harryb

harryb

Personally I'd not paint anything brown! But definitely by adding some clever lighting facing upwards onto the wall (lights midway on your wall) you could brighten things up and get some red into that room. Either that or repainting which I'm sure will be a mission.

13. Feb 13, 2010 #13

lenozhka

lenozhka

lenozhka

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do now except repaint with a new/correct color. Applying a coat of red-tinted glaze over the walls might add some red to the wall color, but it's not fool-proof and doesn't guarantee you'll be happy with the results.

So, just embrace yourself, get a refund for the paint, and start over.