Painted room with exterior paint by mistake

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyretired68

Reaction score
By mistake, painted spare bedroom with exterior paint (duh!) Can this be fixed by letting it dry thoroughly (or even allowing it to cure first) and then repainting it over with interior paint (or maybe two coats of interior paint)? I currently have the room sealed off with windows open to allow VOC's to disappate. I simply do not want to remove that exterior paint if I can get away with it: I don't even really know how to do that. I'd much rather just paint over it with interior paint. Any Professionals out there who can guide me on this?

The walls are drywall. The exterior paint I used was white, because I was trying to lighten very dark walls in preparation for a lighter top coat, and I just did not look too carefully at the can of paint I was using.
Most websites I looked at say that the exterior paint needs removed to do it properly, I get that, but I'd rather just paint over it, even though that may be a poorer solution. I'm willing to live with that if it isn't still too dangerous (can it still have a lot of dangerous fumes after painting over it?). thanks in advance for your replies.
thanks,
diyretired68

I don't see an issue. I'd just paint over it to seal in the VOC's.

I don't see an issue. I'd just paint over it to seal in the VOC's.
THIS^. What you are smelling most is the mildew inhibitor. If you wish you can seal with a 100% acrylic primer then top coat with an interior paint of your choice.

It's really scary when one reads about all the things in a home that are outgassing potentially harmful chemicals. Furniture, paints, flame retardants, mildew retardants, carpets and the list goes on. It seems that 'green' only refers to greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and not indoor air quality. It might be hard to find a really safe primer and paint. It may be a choice of the least harmful.

Back