Painting a Brick Fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
A few questions before i paint my fireplace i was hoping you guys could help with.

1. Once painted is there any way to remove the paint or is it final?
2. How much should i clean it before i paint it?
3. I want to paint it white, but a very clear white so i can see the color of the brink tainted with white. I'm not sure what its called, i think i have seen it called white wash but i wasn't sure. Does anyone know how to paint it this way?

Thanks Guys

Once you paint, it is forever ruined. In theory, you could sand blast the surface but not a good idea.

Yes, a white wash (essentially thinned paint which is ragged) will allow the brick color to show thru a bit. Not sure what your décor goal is ... Most people are going to unpainted layered or ledger stone today. That would require removing the old traditional brick and applying the new stone.

White wash: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVBm3bitEE[/ame]

Stacked ledger stone: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_1p7obP-g[/ame]

Thanks, my wife found that same video but it looked to simple. I'm not a fan of the new stone for my house.

the previous owner painted a few bricks a faint yellow, i was hoping to remove that color and white wash it but it looks like I'm going to have to just paint it white to cover the horrible yellow. thanks

any word on Citric Acid removing paint from a fireplace? Or a wire brush on a grinder?

any word on Citric Acid removing paint from a fireplace? Or a wire brush on a grinder?

It's a one way street. Brick is porous and will soak up paint like a sponge in all those little nooks and crannies. You might get some off but it will always look like it had been painted at one time. To someone with standards the end result of a removal attempt would be unacceptable.

Of course, some folks like the look of "distressed" brick. You could strip & scrape off as much as you can (before damaging the brick) and see how it looks.

Latest posts

Back