Painting brick fireplace, stain vs prime + paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolyBatman

Reaction score
Hello, I have been doing some research on this and I've got some mixed reviews. I've seen someone people recommend stain because it allows the brick to breathe but I haven't been too impressed with the color saturation of the brick with a stain. I've also seen people go with a masonry primer and then use a regular latex paint over the primer. I want to paint my brick fireplace a grey color and repaint the brass door/trim black. What are your thoughts on which route I should take? Also I don't mind using a brush to clean up the brick along with some TSP to clean the surface to get the best adherence possible.

I did a few over the years. Good results were obtained by cleaning as much as possible followed by priming with an aggressive acrylic primer then top coating with a first line 100% acrylic.

I did a few over the years. Good results were obtained by cleaning as much as possible followed by priming with an aggressive acrylic primer then top coating with a first line 100% acrylic.

Perfect, I'll go that route, thank you.

Back