Paneling a wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I have a bathroom wall, part of it, about 50''x50'' needs to be covered. Most of the wall has 3.5'' tongue and groove wood. The boards come in 8 foot lengths. The rest of the wall has them cut on a 45 degree angle. I would be doing the same thing.

How many boards would I need?

Measure another wall that has the same T&G.

Depends on if you will splice them or not. Lay them out with a CAD program or with a scaled hand drawing or right on the wall if you need an exact count.

Depends on if you will splice them or not. Lay them out with a CAD program or with a scaled hand drawing or right on the wall if you need an exact count.

If I have to, I can splice them. I have no CAD software and I am horrible at drawing things.

So, I posed this to my grandson, who's in the 3rd grade, after he was done shooting hoops with his friends.

I handed him a sheet of paper, a pencil, a square and a straight edge and I told him to use the scale 1" = 1' and lay it out dia., like a TV screen is measured. Since I have some 1x6 T&G laying around he could measure the exposure. Then I told him to double miter the longest board.

Certainly, you should be able too, as well.

The longest board will fit in 60 and each board after that will be 7" shorter and you should be able to save the angle after the first cut so maybe they would be 9" shorter.
So 60-51-42-33-24-15-6 and 60 -51-42-33-24-15-6. those are rough numbers, how may can be taken from each 8 ft length? Buy extra and return what is not used.

So, I posed this to my grandson, who's in the 3rd grade, after he was done shooting hoops with his friends.

I handed him a sheet of paper, a pencil, a square and a straight edge and I told him to use the scale 1" = 1' and lay it out dia., like a TV screen is measured. Since I have some 1x6 T&G laying around he could measure the exposure. Then I told him to double miter the longest board.

Certainly, you should be able too, as well.

Congratulations on having a kid that can do that.

If I could, would have.

The longest board will fit in 60 and each board after that will be 7" shorter and you should be able to save the angle after the first cut so maybe they would be 9" shorter.
So 60-51-42-33-24-15-6 and 60 -51-42-33-24-15-6. those are rough numbers, how may can be taken from each 8 ft length? Buy extra and return what is not used.

You are usually very helpful.

I guess it is to the hardware store I go and ask them.

The actual hypotenuse of a 50" x 50" right triangle is 70.71 ", not 60".

Latest posts

Back