Parapet flashing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkeenan

Reaction score
Flat roof, 1926 brick construction. I wanted to know if the roof flashing on this parapet wall is correct. It doesn't hang over the edge at all. This is an area where the brick coping tile broke, but the roof overhangs the parapet like this the entire perimeter. Trying to chase down some very slow water penetration that's killing my upstairs plaster in 4 spots, towards the front and back and on both sides of house.

Attachments

• roof parapet.jpg
    roof parapet.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 5
Wow, that's a bit of a mess. I see all kinds of opportunity for leaks. Really needs to be reworked but, some sealant wouldn't hurt at this point until repairs can be made.

The water damage on the inside is visible from the edge of the ceiling and top wall on top floor to 6 ft down.
Again, I'm just trying to rule out the parapets as of now. I've had several masons tell me my tuckpointing was tight, though I wouldn't rule anything out. My concern is that the flashing might not be tight enough over the parapet wall and water may migrate into the cavity below the roof covering.

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
  • roof2.jpg
    roof2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 5
  • roof3.jpg
    roof3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 6
  • plasterremoved.jpg
    plasterremoved.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4
  • plasterremoved2.jpg
    plasterremoved2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 5
Things to look for, cracks or voids in the mortar, flashing that may have come loose, check both sides of the peripet. Also check the roof membrane itself...when the snows gone.

Back