Particleboard subfloors..... new carpet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drywall demolition, disposal and replacement can be a messy undertaking plus joint taping and mudding can prove to be a daunting experience for the DIYer.
I agree! I've done a fair amount of sheetrock repair/replacement and it is an artform. Shan may enjoy it though. It takes patience and (in my case) many coats of mud and sanding. I prefer the wet sand with a sponge just to keep the dust down but it may not be the fastest way. It's like body work on a car...any imperfection will show through the paint.

There are a few places of drywall that are super soft from termites, and then there are some places that have holes that are filled with spray foam from mice. I could just use like 5" baseboard to cover. The downside is that they used metal outside corner pieces (can't think of the name) on the drywall and the metal is exposed and rusted at the bottom because of cat pee I am sure.

Well I am off to work. Have a great day!

I agree! I've done a fair amount of sheetrock repair/replacement and it is an artform. Shan may enjoy it though. It takes patience and (in my case) many coats of mud and sanding. I prefer the wet sand with a sponge just to keep the dust down but it may not be the fastest way. It's like body work on a car...any imperfection will show through the paint.
Actually, it's fairly simple work, but it is WORK...
Texturing can hide imperfections... unless dealing with a perfectly flat untextured wall...

There are a few places of drywall that are super soft from termites,
Probably damaged from being wet... termites like wood, not drywall... If there are still termites, they must be killed before doing anything else... carpenter ants will also make holes in and eat wood...

There are a few places of drywall that are super soft from termites, and then there are some places that have holes that are filled with spray foam from mice. I could just use like 5" baseboard to cover. The downside is that they used metal outside corner pieces (can't think of the name) on the drywall and the metal is exposed and rusted at the bottom because of cat pee I am sure.

If the metal corner piece is not seriously damaged there are rust cure products (phosphoric acid) that turn rust into a stable black oxide that can be painted.

If the metal corner piece is not seriously damaged there are rust cure products (phosphoric acid) that turn rust into a stable black oxide that can be painted.
Or the rusted corner bead section snipped/pryed off and replaced with new metal or plastic piece...

Termites don't really do much anything to drywall. Has the termite problem been solved and is the wood below solid? Soft drywall is usually from getting and staying wet for an extended period of time.

Yes, I have had termite treatment about 18 months ago, and paid for maintenance.
So the first picture are dining room. I know that some looks like paint drip, but it is tunneling. This was not an accessible area when they did the inspection. 20221111_235853.jpg20221111_235858.jpg20221111_235901.jpg

The next pictures are in my moms room, they are hard to see also, but there is tunneling under the drywall20221112_000000.jpg

There's also termite trails on the siding that were hidden by her stuff....

I had more to say, but I have a gastric migraine from this dumb gastroparesis, so if I remember what it was later. I will post it20221111_235955.jpg

We had damage to a rental house in Florida and the company that had the contract paid for all repairs because their treatment failed.

Back